APC Forum

2000 word essay help

Yankie

I need to write a 2000 word essay for media studies, I thought a good topic would be to discuss how the media's ignorant claims (calling fireworks HE's or bombs ect) affects the way we do our hobby. For example kids making pipe bombs, blowing themselves up, then the media comes in saying they were playing with fireworks, and then consumer fireworks get tighter regulations ect.

If anyone can post some good links, or can contribute to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Personal stories of accidents, compared to the article written by the media would be a great help.

I hate writing essays with the passion, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A stretch to be pyro related, only in that empty shells used to have propellant, but this is one of the stupidest articles I read. I saved it a while back but unfortunately the original link is dead. I started keeping a folder of media stupidity a while back.

"Rifle shells discovered in recycling

Posted By PETE FISHER

Posted 12 hours ago

Garbage collectors made a startling discovery while collecting trash along Cobourg streets Friday.

Colleen Child said the workers were "shocked" when they saw numerous boxes of rifle shells in a recycling bag outside a residence on Elgin Street West.

Child is the education and communication co-ordinator for Northumberland County.

Police were immediately contacted and after further investigation it appeared the bullets had already been fired and only the shells were inside the boxes.

"Even if ammunition is not live, we still have to shut down the entire production for our safety," said Child.

She commended the collectors for noticing the boxes of shells and saving hours that would have been lost had the line shut down at the county's Materials Recovery Facility near Grafton, leaving its 35 workers idle.

Cobourg Police removed the boxes from the bag and took them away for proper disposal.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/Article....aspx?e=1468797

You could have great fun with this essay....

LOL!!! "proper disposal"..... That is code for, "throw them away"

Wow, you UK blokes have it worse than the the people in the Republik Of Kalhysteria.... I didn't think anywhere was worse then that liberal blight upon the earth!

I know that the US media are all a bunch of domestic terrorists (funded by the government no less!), but I haven't reasearched UK media enough (I would assume it is similar, or worse, but you know what assuming does.....)

Thanks Rogue Chemist, I might change it so it is not completely pyro related, depends if I find enough stories or not.

Keep em coming :)

I don't believe the media are ignorant per-se - they know exactly what they're doing. Some would also argue that they have been controlled by a small group of people for a very long time now, and are being used as a tool of social engineering. But let's not go too far down that path of discussion : )

The following links might be of interest:

http://www.pyrosociety.org.uk/forum/topic/...r-of-fireworks/

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/dews...pipe.4537402.jp

There are probably a few more examples lurking in the UKPS archives but those are the more recent ones.

Good luck with your essay : )

I think you should do an essay on the screaming bias that is directed towards home chemists /independent researchers. Decades ago, it was common to have a small chemistry lab in your basement. When I was a kid, you could go to the hobby store, and they not only had real chemistry sets, but dozens of little bottles full of various reagents, right next to the model airplanes and the HO trains. I shit you not.

Now, all you can buy are "magic grow crystals" and "artificial snow" and utter crap like that. There is a famous case of a guy with a PHD who was doing legit polymer research at home. He got raided and they took all his stuff, AND his notes, representing years of intellectual pursuit. Nowadays, chem lab = bomb lab = drug lab. The word "chemical" alone creates negative feelings in people. All due to ignorance.

You could do something like this... Don't tell them the essay is about chemistry, just say it is a simple survey. Have a questionnaire with 10 questions that look like this:

"How do you view the following activities..."

Extremely unfavorably...................Very favorably

1-----2----3----4----5----6----7----8----9----10

Have an assortment of activities, like

1) Motorcycling

2) Underage Drinking

3) Marijuana legalization

4) Going to Church

5) Being homeless

6) Owning firearms

then sneak in a question like

7) Home Chemistry Lab

or something along those lines. I'll bet you'd get a massively unfavorable view towards any chemistry outside of a University or Government lab. Chemistry is a dirty word these days.

Good luck.

My professor, who isn't too old, maybe early 30's, was suprised to hear that some people have home chemistry labs. He asked how I became interested in chemistry, and I was honest to him. I got involved in amateur chemistry at an early age, and it just escalated from there. I think it makes sense to him now why I like all these elegant reactions from the 1950's, and try to make everything from scratch.

In case you don't follow firearm-related incidents....

If anyone is confused, those are unfired rounds.

Mumbles: I have had an old prof light up when I told him I used to have a lab. And of course I have also gotten the why questions from others. But the one that thinks of you higher for it is a true chemist, and make dealing with the others worthwhile.

post-20-1248754495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rogue Chemist

It should have said. An Iraqi woman holds the bullets that were thrown at her house.

HAHA!