APC Forum

Charcoal help!

Mario1

Ok so I decided to make some of my own Charcoal. Im not sure of the wood that i used and i want to make sure that it will work. Heres the pics of the wood.

post-9793-1248042731_thumb.jpg front

post-9793-1248042763_thumb.jpg back

post-9793-1248042787_thumb.jpg the wood seems to be in layers

post-9793-1248042819_thumb.jpg different wood.

Thanks everyone who can help.

Edited by Mario1

Looks to me like you're trying to make charcoal with bark, which isn't recommended in the first place. You also might not be using the right type of wood. Pine is probably most common where you live and makes great charcoal. What method are you using to cook it?

To me that looks like bark, not something you'll get good BP out of.

Go and get some yellow pine wood from your hardware store. It will have a fairly distinct piney smell.

Well im not trying to make black powder. Im using it for a fountain mix by nighthawkinlight on youtube.

EDIT: It looks pretty good grounded up so far.

and also would pine needles work??

Im putting them into a can and putting it into fire. A tutorial on skylighter showed me how.

Edited by Mario1

Well im not trying to make black powder. Im using it for a fountain mix by nighthawkinlight on youtube.

EDIT: It looks pretty good grounded up so far.

and also would pine needles work??

Im putting them into a can and putting it into fire. A tutorial on skylighter showed me how.

I agree with firetech and Ventsi,

It really looks like bark in those pictures that you posted, and I doubt pine needles would make very good charcoal... even for a fountain mix. If you really have no other resources people have made OK charcoal out of newspapers. Otherwise if I were you I would use Willow / Pine / Balsa or some other type of wood.

Edited by Xtreme Pyro

Your method is fine and should work just fine if you follow the instructions. Just go find some 2x4's and chop those up and cook them. They make good BP.

For a fountain pine needles might make very good charcoal.

It will certainly contain impurities that are not desired for lift, but they might not affect spark production, and indeed they might improve it.

Unless someone has actually tried it, then no one can give you an answer in this situation. If you feel like being experimental, go ahead and find out. Just be sure to post the results here :)

However if you would like to lessen the risk of it being substandard, then some more well known woods could be used.

Ok so I decided to make some of my own Charcoal. Im not sure of the wood that i used and i want to make sure that it will work. Heres the pics of the wood.

post-9793-1248042731_thumb.jpg front

post-9793-1248042763_thumb.jpg back

post-9793-1248042787_thumb.jpg the wood seems to be in layers

post-9793-1248042819_thumb.jpg different wood.

Thanks everyone who can help.

Take a look here:

http://www.pyroguide.com/index.php?title=C...itability_Table