APC Forum

What Type of Charcoal to buy

Mario1

Ok so I want to try and make my first fountain. I need Charcoal. On skylighter there are 3 different types. 20 mesh, 36 mesh and 80 mesh. Which one should I get for a simple fountain mix. Thanks!

Btw the other chems i need are KNO3 and Sulfur.

If you're buying ONLY one type, buy the largest *physical* size available (which is the the lowest mesh *number*), or 20 mesh.

You can then grind that down into smaller sizes (larger mesh *numbers*), as you need them and the fountain recipe calls for.

Skylighter's charcoals (unless specified otherwise) are mixed-hardwood charcoals, and ideal for fountains and streamer stars.

That's a good place to start. You can work with potassium nitrate, charcoal, sulfur, plus maybe 3 more chemicals, for a decade and still barely scratch the surface.

- Added bicarbonate will create glitter stars

- higher charcoal % makes BP rocket fuel

- Binders like Dextrin, CMC gum, or red gum will find multiple uses

- larger mesh metals like iron, titanium, and aluminum, will add beautiful effects

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know of any good sources for charcoal bigger that airfloat other than skylighter? I bougt a few hundred dollars worth of tooling and fuels/binders. I went to place a order with charcoal and some 325 alumimum and I am now permanently banned! And the blue smoke mix they sold me will not work.

They've been having trouble with the blue smoke mix. You might want to e-mail them. It's apparantly a bad batch or something.

Some of the other guys in the supplier review section may have granular charcoal.

It's odd you got banned. Were those the only two items you tried to purchase? and was it -325 mesh bright flake? That combined with an order history may raise a few eyebrow.