APC Forum

Ammonium Nitrate in pyrotechnics

inonickname

Well, I recently got some very pure ammonium nitrate. The local ambo center was throwing out all of their instant cold packs (which contain ammonium nitrate crystals, and a satchel of water). Probably something to do with dates/legality or something, didn't ask. Seen as I'm known as a bit of a pyro around here they were offered to me. After opening each pack and removing the crystals I tested some (water) and they were still fine.

So before I use it for anything else, are there uses for it?

Edited by inonickname

it is only used in preparing other chems in pyro as it is hygroscopic and no it is not pure recrastalise it and you will be surprised what interesting stuff comes off (it will be brown or yellow) i have used it once for making barium nitrate before i got a much better supply and you may want to deleted the bit about making HE your not suposed to discuss it out side of the HE section

It's used in some miscellaneous pyro compositions but not many to my knowledge. I believe it is also used in rocket propellants but I don't know much about it. There's miscellaneous stuff you can do with it like 'Negative X' and so on. A good use for it would be as Ralph stated, preparing other chemicals in pyro. I guess you could just put it in water and feel how cold it gets also...

Alright, I'll recrystallize it then.

So asides from preparing other chemicals, could it be used to replace another oxidizer? How is it in terms of an oxidizer (ease of releasing O2/number of compatibilities/oxygen density?)

Edit: Recrystallizing it should be straightforward I assume? I don't believe it reacts with water, just breaks into ammonium and nitrate ions.. So it can be recrystallized in a standard manner?

Edited by inonickname

Very nice find. Ralph, are you confident that the prills are impure? Without actually testing, it appears that the ammonium nitrate I've yanked from cold packs is good stuff, and is what I've used on a limited basis for some experiments with no problems.

Ammonium nitrate (ultra soluble) should still recrystallize OK, with 1180 g/l at zero degrees C, and 8710 g/l at 100 C. Plan on losing at least 15% unless you can recycle the losses in some manner. But unless you need really pure ammonium nitrate, I'm not sure it needs it. I may be very wrong on the purity, though.

Well, dissolve some and check if it all dissolves, if it does it's pure if it doesn't pour the rest in and apply heat. :D

I think that cold-pack are "usually" more pure then the AN from farm supply stores, but that all depends on the source and manufacturer off course.

The best thing to use the AN for (outside of the HE section :D) is Ammonpulver made up of AN and charcoal - 85/15. It was used by the Germans as a replacement for BP, but it is hygroscopic and rather powerful so be warned. :whistle:

Another good thing is to soak a whole newspaper in the solution and let it dry, roll up the newspaper and tape all around it except for the sides of the roll. Light it and enjoy the smoke.

very confident that they have enough (binder i belive it is) to discolour water both the fertiliser grade and the instant cold pack it dosnt seem to effect its chemistry. though I recrystallise mine any way. when i bought a cold pack and re crystallised the contents there was a substantial amount of clay that came off and when now with the fertiliser grade there seems to be less clay and the solution is slightly yellow

I made some ammonpulver.

I didn't grind it for long so it's a little slow, but still quite cool. The bulk of it burns flameless, with an angry jet of flame flying randomly. Lots of sparks and smoke. Lights fine after a light BP prime.

vid^^

Edited by inonickname