APC Forum

Question on Shell Pasting

jrin0630

I just finished pasting a 3" shell and I want to make sure I did it right. I used the so called 3 strip method. I used 3" long by 1/2" wide 30lb gummed Kraft tape. I started from the top pole (where the loop to hold the fuse is) and placed a strip from top to bottom, then another one next to it and then the 3rd in the middle to close the gap between the first 2 strips. There is about 1/4 " of overlap. I went around the shell 12 times. Is that considered 12 layers? It came out pretty smooth and appears to be the right pattern.

Wow ! If you've made 12 turns, that means you did 24 layers. :D One turn of 3 strip pasting method is equal to 2 layers. Does the shell fit in your mortar ?

If you launch it, I bet the break will shake the sky.

But don't worry, your pasting method is fine.

What paper are you using ?

Edited by 50AE

Wow ! If you've made 12 turns, that means you did 24 layers. :D One turn of 3 strip pasting method is equal to 2 layers. Does the shell fit in your mortar ?

If you launch it, I bet the break will shake the sky.

But don't worry, your pasting method is fine.

What paper are you using ?

That's what I was thinking, 12 turns = 24 layers. The interesting thing is the shell still has plenty of room in the mortar. Roughly 1/4" of spacing. The paper is gummed Kraft from Pyro Direct. It's pretty thin so I'm thinking 30lb.

What's the recommended number of layers for a 3 inch? I've always just gone with 3 rotations with the 3 strip method.

The reconmended amount of turns of the 3 strip method is 12-14, im pretty sure, but that means 6 or 7 times because the 3 strip method each time you go around it equals to 2 times around.