APC Forum

Granulating whistle mix?

The-T

How would I go about granulatong whistle mix? Just throw in about 4 to 5% Dextrin, moisten with alcohol then push through screen? I know this is extremely noob, But I just want to be sure of the correct method because ive never granulated any other compositions than BP ones. Thanks in advance.

I will often granulate my whistle with 2% additional red gum. I use it at the advice of Eric Hunkins as a crossette break. Firetech is correct, you will need to add water in order to use the dextrin as a binder.

I don't add anything to mine, simply add enough water:alc 75:25 until it is a thick paste, mix it really well (this also helps consolidate it so you get a faster burning fuel, and it will have a better sound). Once the whistle is well mixed spread it out on a tray and let it dry until it is kind of crusty, mix it again and try granulating some, if it granulates well granulate all of it, if it is like noodles let it dry some more. The granules are pretty hard, though will break between your fingers, but they are tough enough for normal use.