APC Forum

equipment and chemicals?

stormyweathers

where do you guys usually buy chemicals [not in bulk], and lab glassware?

im trying to furnish a makeshift home lab without breaking the bank here, and i would appreciate some advice.

Most of my non-bulk chemicals come from Skylighter or personal acquaintances. My labware came from ebay, my research lab (given to me, not stolen), and home-school supply places.

Bear in mind when purchasing equipment to only buy the equipment you need. Some time ago I bought a kit and only ended up using half of it as the rest was excessive. You can homemake some of the equipmet, as long as it keeps your tests safe.

I found a lot of my tools come from the local hardware shop as opposed to specialized lab companies.

Make as much equipment as you can, it will save vast amounts of $$. To become serious pretty much requires a ball mill. I recommend you skip the $40 rock tumblers (although they do work, in a way) and go right to a decent ball mill. The performance difference (and ease of use) is amazing. With a good ball mill, you toss in the correct proportions of chemicals... lumpy potassium nitrate, walnut-sized charcoal nuggets, sulfur - and 6 to 12 hours later you have a pound (or 3) of excellent BP. The ball mill will see use later with many comps and chemicals, but not all comps can be milled, some (if not most) are dangerous to mill.

Anyway, a good ball mill is a must.

For chemicals, look in the supplier section for reviews. Bear in mind if you order components to make salutes and such, your order will probably be rejected. Form a good relationship with one or two, they'll come to know you and trust you.

Skylighter is loaded with info as well as supplies. Good luck!

Like Swede is saying, you do want a good ball mill. I'd homemake it, put in a few hours and it will be very rewarding. Excluding the motor, you can get all the parts at the hardware store. You can probably find a good motor off of ebay for 20-40 total charge, I'd go for an 1/4 horsepower AC unit.