APC Forum

Washington DC

Mumbles

So, I am going to be there in August for a conference. I'm going to have some free time. I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions of things to check out? I'd like to visit the smithsonian, and the air and space museum, but I'm pretty open other to anything else. I'll be traveling with 2 girls, so anything I would like to do, may not actually happen. I'll have at least a bit of time to myself though.

I liked going to the top of the Washington monument, seeing money printed at the US Mint (they have $10,000 bills hanging on the walls, lol), the Lincoln memorial was nice, and the Pentagon, White House, Arlington etc.. But you already have listed the best part, the Smithsonian museums, check out all of the museums for sure...

There is a new museum that came out in 2008 that focuses on all the news and events that have occurred over the past centuries. It's named the 'newseum' . They have some interesting artifacts and memorabilia from recent events. They have a piece of the Berlin wall and the radio tower from one of the world trade centers and a bunch of other stuff worth checking out. The Washington National Cathedral might be of interest to you also. There are numerous memorials to visit from wars and other events. Definitely check out the air and space museum, however if you can find the time there is a new one that opened near Dulles Airport. It's about a 30 minute car ride but its a bit better than the one in DC. Good luck!