Color/Effect: Purple

The Composition: (by weight)

KClO4.........................50

Parlon.........................15

CuO............................12

SrCO3...........................9

Red Gum.......................8

MgAl (325 mesh)............5

Make sure all chems are fine enough and screen them all together. Use acetone or alcohol as the solvent, or add 5% dextrin/SGRS and bind with water.

Can be cut, pumped or rolled.

A BP prime is all that is needed, however if you wish you can add a few % MgAl just to be sure

In the video is a 1" starmine with some 10mm pumped stars, sprinkled with meal powder as I could not be arsed priming them at the time.

Enjoy ;)

Very nice KP purple! It really is like a barney purple, not to red and not to blue, just purple. Metal fueled too. ;) Did you fire one hard in a star gun to see how it does in the wind?

Very nice KP purple! It really is like a barney purple, not to red and not to blue, just purple. Metal fueled too. ;) Did you fire one hard in a star gun to see how it does in the wind?

Thanks for the heads up ;)

I haven't done a star gun test yet, but I will do one when I prime them.

Why do you suggest using dextrin as binder? Parlon seems to do the job here, and water + magnesium tends to cause problems.

But great star though!

Why do you suggest using dextrin as binder? Parlon seems to do the job here, and water + magnesium tends to cause problems.

But great star though!

I only suggest it as an alternative to those who are too stingy to use acetone.

The star comp contains Magnelium (MgAl) not Magnesium (Mg), MgAl is much less reactive with water.

Ah.. True words. I didnt catch that one. It is a great star man. I will use that for sure!

With red gum, parlon and dextrin you could bind with water or alcohol or acetone! water leads to a star that may soften on damping but the solvent is cheap! acetone or meths cost money but the star product is more certainly hard amd damp proof.

Tested this comp and I love it. My girlfriend called it Barney Purple and I now have it written down as Yankies Barney Purple. Pumped 17mm stars and tested out of a stargun. Love the colour and it lights easily. Thanks Yankie!

Yeah Yankie man that is a sweet purple, I can't wait to make it myself!

I made a 50g batch last night. They are beautiful! I added a bit of hexamine in too.. I love these stars!

• 3 weeks later...
I made a small batch of these the other day and I really like the colour. I added 5% dextrin to bind with water. I haven't tested in the air, but they they took fire very easily with only a thin BP prime.

very nice purple!

can i use pvc instead of parlon and shellac instead of red gum?

very nice purple!

can i use pvc instead of parlon and shellac instead of red gum?

Of course you can, but it will change the properties. It's hard to tell to what degree, or if they will be favorable or not though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I want to make this shiss now, but I have one small prob...I have no MgAl, I am thinking that I could use just Al (atomized)

I have dark and atomized Al, I will try using the atomzied Al as it is a way closer mesh then the dark and I have tried subbing MgAl with atomized Al before for a blue...so I will try it and burn a bit of the powder and tell you how it goes.

I dont think I will try it with the dark Al as it would be a waste (not much, tho') and I dont think is as close to atomized.

Soz, just kinda rambleling on here, but just letting you know what I'm trying....

Edit: I uploaded the video

Edited by TrueBluePyro

I find that an equivalent mesh flake is about equal to the corresponding mesh MgAl in terms of burn speed, ignitability, and color saturation.

I tested this purple (original formula, not with Al). Its fantastic.

The vid also contains a blue and a red star test. The statrs were not primed.

Hmmmmm. So TrueBlue, how much do you think Ventsi would appreciate you practically posting his formula verbatim on passfire as your own?

I didnt, wtf has this got to do with this thread, send me a bloody PM.

If you're posting stuff in another public forum, so will I. The formula you posted is in parenthesis.

KClO4.........................50 (49)

Parlon.........................15 (14)

CuO............................12 (12)

SrCO3...........................9 (10)

Red Gum.......................8 (10)

MgAl (325 mesh)............5 (5)

Exactly, it is an improvement and better and richer than the first (i'm sure it could still do some improving, I'm not saying it is perfect). It isnt the same, and thanks for posting it here, you should give it a go. I know what you are trying to prove, but you are wrong. Please PM me if you have any further problems.

If the forum you are talking about is passfire, I wouldnt really consider that a public forum, as I have to pay for it.

Edited by TrueBluePyro

Hmmmmm. So TrueBlue, how much do you think Ventsi would appreciate you practically posting his formula verbatim on passfire as your own?

Ventsi? I am confused, have you got the right thread Mumbles?

This composition rolls very well too. Beautiful color, thanks Yankie, this is your second best one yet :D .

Sorry Yankie, right thread, wrong name.

Hey, have you seen my new charcoal streamer?

Mumbles Completely Original Charcoal Streamer

KNO3 - 43

C - 45

S - 6

Dex - 6