APC Forum

Spider star

Rooster

Mumbles:

I figure I mention and reference these enough that I should share it with you. Plus it is a pain to have to go and look it up all the time when I need it.

FORMULA 1

Commercial Meal D - 20

Potassium nitrate - 15

Air Float Charcoal - 15

Sulfur - 2

Dextrin - 4

Formula 2

Potassium nitrate - 15

Air Float Charcoal - 9

Sulfur - 2

Dextrin - 2

I usually use formula 2 personally. You ball mill all components together and cut or pump, or possibly roll the star(with a little extra work). You should ball mill all the components except the meal in formula one to achieve good uniformity and decrease ash left. The wetting and forming the star is what gives it it's speed. If you want to roll the star you will want to granulate the comp, let it dry and ball mill for a few hours to get the effects of wetting. Rolling stars doesn't give the same effect as wetting from pumping or cutting.

This star produces a beautiful yellow/orange charcoal tail. There is a very large spread, and uniform burn out of the sparks. This would make a wonderful comet mix. The star burns faster than some others so you can make them large. It is said that a 3/4" star has a burn time of around 1 second. The stars are very hard and can be used with the strongest of flashbags. It doesn't need a prime, but I usually use one anyway.

All info from personal experience and Best of AFN III pg 110.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mephistos minion:

Hmm, I am nervous about the small ammount of sulpher so prime them I shall too. What sort of charcoal gives you the best results? I have access to willow, pine an d eucaliptus. It is a bitch to cook so I like to get good results for minimum trial and error.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mumbles:

I've been using willow and just a general hardwood mix. boith work great. I have yet to get around to cooking my pine, so I don't have much other charcoal tests. I can imagine everything would work though. I still prime them, but they do ignite very easily.

• 6 years later...
im chewy:) i like the sound of these stars being im a noobie at it lol! I mainly make bottle rockets being i dnt have any sulfur or good chems... Therefore i go with sulfurless black powder which wrks well for end burner rockets