APC Forum

Thermobaric bp?

firetech

I have recently come across an idea. Some fuels, when mixed with the right amount of air, can detonate. Well, after viewing the sawdust cannon video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPpyDUr50Zw and other cannons, I came across an idea of launching meal powder into the air with some sort of ignition device such as a flare as seen in the video. My thought is that when the bp is shot into the air from an pneumatic cannon, the bp would disperse into the air and detonate as the ratio of air to bp became ideal. Under these circumstances would a detonation be possible?

Could be wrong, it's been a long time since college chemistry, but I think the oxidizer in 75/15/10 BP, releases close to the stoichiometric amount of O2 required for complete combustion. It doen't need air to burn. I don't think adding air makes a difference in energy released in a given amount of BP. It might burn faster if the density is right, I don't think BP will ever "detonate".

While I'm sure the intent was innocent, this ventures a bit too much into the HE realm. I can move it to the HE section if desired.

Locked.