APC Forum

BP Burst Charcoal

swervedriver

Hi. Hoping for some insight on the performance of the charcoal used for BP bursting charge. Will commercial hardwood charcoal provide similar performance as say, willow or alder charcoal for burst application? Or does the same "hot" rule apply as it does for lift charge BP? I ask because opening a bag cowboy brand is easier than cooking my own. Thanks

Usually bp with homemade charcoal out performs commercial bp and bp made with hardwood store-bought charcoal. My advice is to go out there and cook up a big batch that is gonna last you a while. In the long run, it's worth the time and black hand-prints :D

I find cowboy works alright for burst. I've used it many a time with good success. Only when I use the commercial airfloat stuff from skylighter or the like to I have issues with burst strength. I have taken to using willow however.

If you want some good charcoal, but don't want to make it, try here. They have willow, but I'd go with red alder if I were you.

http://www.customcharcoal.com/

For most shells you want fast burning charcoal for your burst. However when you get to the biggest shells, think 24"+, a fast burst can kill your inserts and stars. In these cases slower charcoal is desired.

For you and me (one day I'll be in the 24" category... :rolleyes: ) though, fast is good.

Commercial lumpwood charcoal will produce failed lift powder and poor break powder. Save on variables and unknowns -start wirh good BP! Willow, grapevine, alder, balsa and Pawlonia make charcoal for fast BP. Unless you are inclined to source good timber and charcoal it well, please buy some charcoal from a vendor who will supply by an appropriate carrier.

Small shells say up to 2 inches need a fast break, maybe faster than plain BP! a 3 inch shell should break well with BP and bigger shells will take BP on a softer filler material to make a suitable soft break.

Lumpwood charcoal is OK for fountains and rockets -in fact it makes them easier because it doesn't cato easily as it isn't powerful enough.

For you and me (one day I'll be in the 24" category... :rolleyes: ) though, fast is good.

Ahaha, I think the whole of NZ will see one of those, lol...I will be watching :ph34r:

I've been using home cooked spruce, as there's no willow or alder around my parts. It seems to work ok for me. At first, making C was really fun, now it's become a bit of a chore so I figured I'd ask because that big bag of cowboy looks pretty. Thanks for the feedback, I'll fire up the retort again. I'll get around to ordering some alder before the 4th.

Cowboy charcoal works. For those not in the U.S., it is simply mixed hardwood charcoal (not pressed) for BBQ. Don't forget, a smart APC'er (I forget who) recommended hand-sorting the cowboy charcoal by density, which makes total sense and will improve the BP quality. The lighter (low density) lumps go in one pile to become quicker BP, while the denser lumps become either BBQ grill fodder, or low-quality BP.

The Custom Charcoal guy's willow or alder is really good stuff too. Put me into the "too lazy to make my own" group!

That would have been me (I think).

The lighter chunks are generally maple I think, while the heavier ones are usually oak. Theres other stuff in there like pine, and cedar and stuff too that generally isn't too heavy. I also try to break the pieces in half to ensure they're well cooked and soft. I have greatly improved my product by doing this. Perhaps in the UK, the kinds of woods that go to scrap are not useful at all to us.

I more suspect that the UK imports charcoal from rainforest slash and burn! The stuff we gat in BBQ supplies is hard as iron when charcoaled and needs hammering into millable pieces. It produces really BAD lift. Nothing catos though!!

For BP charcoal quality is ALL