APC Forum

Request info from my newly purchased book

asilentbob

Industrial Chemicals 2nd edition by Faith, Keyes, and Clark copyright 1957 Hard backed

Approximatly 800 pages of various synths... 140 synths if i counted correctly...

I just got this book for a unbelievable $2.00 at a book store, and being the generous soul that i am i will scan and email you requested sections... so long as you are not requesting a whole lot... i do have a life, or atleast try to. Keep in mind that this is aimed closer to the industrial synthesis and will not necisarilly help the home chemist all too much. However, it IS another source if you have been contemplating synthesizing something, so...

I can scan some pages and my computer can apparently put the images as pages in a .pdf, as you will see in the contents, this takes longer to do than simply photographing the pages as i tried earlyer, but apparently my camera sucks up close even on the "up close" setting the text was hard to read... Each scaned image/page will have empty space and/or a bit of the next page in it, but it would take way too long to edit it all out, so you will have to live with it.

I can email it to you, or mabey if it is under 2.44mb i can attach it to a message here so others can have it too, as a reference, the contents file is 554 kb uncompressed. 549 kb in a WinRAR archive...

I also picked up a thick book of Edgar Allen Poe's poems for $1.00 (I have ~45% of The Raven memorized) and Enders Game by Orson Scott Card for like $4.00 or something... it wasn't clearance :( ...

Edit: Attached the WinRAR archive because it apparently wouldn't let me attach a .pdf...

scan_of_contents.rar

Here is a sample of what the average section is like.

Acetylene.rar

How about: Barium carbonate, Hydrogen peroxide, Nitric acid, ethylene glycol, penicillin, zinc oxide, and titanium dioxide. Hope this isn't too much.

:D

Could you post these sections on something like megaupload instead of emailing me? That way people don't have to keep asking for the same sections. If you can't it's alyks42ATgmailDOTcom. Of course, I think you should throw the whole book together into a pdf and post it on here.

I have put a little thought into scanning the whole book, but damn, thats alot... Now this spread over a year or two, perhaps...

Barium carbonate is essentialy from:

BaS + CO2 + H2O ---> BaCO3 + Ba(HS)2

Or further to:

Ba(HS)2 + CO2 + H2O ---> BaCO3 + 2H2S

Ba(HS)2 + BaCO3 + Na2CO3 ---> 2BaCO3 + 2NaHS

I'll scan a few of those now, and i guess keep attaching them as WinRAR archives, ill do the others later, my urge to finish reading the rest of Ender's Game is too great...

Ethylene glycol

Ethylene_glycol.rar

H2O2

Edit: If i scan 3 sections a day that is like 45 days to get them all, then the intro, glossary, etc... Not too bad i guess...

Hydrogen_peroxide.rar

It would be greatly appreciated if you could scan the following sections.... I have lots of chem books, so if you want a certain topic, ask and I'll see what I can get you.

Acetic Anhydride

Diphenylamine

Furfural

Vanillin

Many thanks!

OMGOMG HE WANTS ACETIC ANHYDRIDE!!!1 ISNT THAT USED BY DRUG GUYS?? HE MUST WANT TO MAKE DRUGS DESPITE SEVERAL LEGITIMATE USES FOR THE CHEMICAL!!

:( I want it too...

You want a way to make acetic anhydride? It's pretty easy(Quoted from Megalomania's controversial chemistry lab):

"Into a 200-mL Florence flask, add 70 g of finely pulverized, anhydrous sodium acetate. Set the flask up for simple distillation, instead of a thermometer in the top of the flask use an addition funnel. Slowly add, by dropwise addition, 45.5 mL of acetyl chloride from the addition funnel. After half of the acetyl chloride has been added, stop the addition and stir the reaction mix with a glass stirring rod. Afterwards, continue the addition the rest of the way. If at any point during the addition some material should distill over, pour it back into the reaction flask and decrease the rate of addition to prevent this. After the addition is complete, remove the addition funnel, stop up the flask, and distill with flame or hot plate. The crude acetic anhydride thus obtained needs to be purified by distillation. Set up for a simple distillation, add 3 g of finely pulverized, anhydrous sodium acetate to the reaction flask, and then pour in the crude acetic anhydride. The sodium acetate will convert any remaining acetyl chloride into the anhydride. The receiving flask should be under a water shower for cooling. Place a large funnel (a cheap plastic one will work fine) under the flask with a tube leading to the sink, pour cold water over the top of the receiving flask. The receiving flask can also be held directly under the faucet in the sink. Commence the distillation; the yield should be about 50 g of pure acetic anhydride."

Commercial anhydrous sodium acetate usually contains some moisture. To remove moisture fuse 70-80 g. in a casserole (either in an ordinary oven, or a microwave) and stir until no more water is evolved. Do not overheat! Cool and quickly pulverize. Store in a tightly sealed container before use.

Straightforward mabey, but not necisarily OTC, though don't quote me on that, acetyl chloride can probably be synthisized from OTC chemicals, but thats not the aim of this thread.

Acetyl chloride is not exactly a big help, being as hard to get as Ac2O itself. Making it requires things as 'OTC' as PCl3.

It should be noted that acetyl chloride can be substituted for the anhydride in many acetylations (but not nitrations).

I don't understand anyway why Ac2O is so resticted. Yes you can easily make heroin with it, but who's got the morphine to start with? :P

Diphenylamine attached.

Well, today was probably the best day i have had all month, and tomorrow looks great as well. I love when school gets out.

Diphenylamine.rar

Acetic anhydride attached

Acetic_anhydride.rar

Furfural attached.

Furfural.rar