APC Forum

Remote range

mdawson

How do I get more range from my wireless e-fire system? I want to get another 150yds. out of it. Anyone?

How do I get more range from my wireless e-fire system? I want to get another 150yds. out of it. Anyone?

Completely coat yourself with Al foil...

You could probably just make a huge antenna?

Completely coat yourself with Al foil...

You could probably just make a huge antenna?

They don't call them Damn Yankees for nothing.

LOL Yankie , :lol:

Nothing pretty much, unless you want to go and get yourself a coded transmitter that can send a signal 150 yrds. more and take the time to install it without messing it all up.

I'm not sure but they are pretty damn expensive and hard to find.

Thanks for the reply Ventsi. I tested my system out again today with a energizer in place of the generic cheap chinese batt. I transmitted 400yds. That is good enough for me.

Depending on the type of transmitter there are actually a few things you can do to boost the signal. A larger antenna is a good start, depending on the frequency in use that could be as simple as a bit of copper wire (27MHz) or it could need something fairly fancy (915MHz, 2.4GHz, etc). Adding a reflector/directional antenna will allow you to focus your power on a smaller area.

Since changing the battery helped it sounds like a fairly simple radio (it's not AM is it?). If you are using rechargeable (NiMH) batteries (which put out 1.2V) you could try switching to alkalines (which put out 1.5V) you would have a steeper discharge curve though so you would need to change them more frequently to maintain the higher voltage. If you are up for a bit of experimentation you could also try an external power pack which puts out a slightly higher (regulated) voltage than the unit expects, that way you get a power boost and a fairly flat discharge, the downside being that you may let the smoke out.

OK it's a Chinese transmitter I presume. Go to e-madeinchn ebay shop and keep looking then email them and ask if the transmitter you have can be replaced with one of bigger range (some can some cannot) then send them some beer tokens by paypal or other system. The do transmitters from 200m to 4000 metres IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...

If it's a high-frequency device, you can quintuple the range with a directional antenna, like a Yagi. Actually, the frequency doesn't matter, but a Yagi for the gigahertz range can be hand-held, while one for 27 megahertz would be enormous. You obviously need line-of-sight for the higher frequencies.

Yagi's are actually pretty easy to make. If you know the exact frequency, there are yagi "recipes" online that will give you the exact dimensions and spacing of each element. Most are made with a wooden boom and aluminum tubing for the elements. Al tubing can be scavenged easily from a defunct old-fashioned TV antenna.