APC Forum

turbillion

hondo

post-3429-1241035776_thumb.jpgcheck out my new projects, turbillions, made about 12 so far and they work great, just like pressing end burner rockets but drill 1/8 inch holes on each end oposing each other at about 45 degree angle, I go to lowes and get paint stir stick for the wings, cut them about 4 inchs long, hot glue on, quick match the holes together and visco for the main fuse, lay on ground, lit fuse and run, now trying variations. like colored comp in the middle so it turns colors at the top of flight and one with about 2 g of flash for a finalie

Nice work. Do you have a video mate, and arnt they called Z-Bombs? or are they called both?

Very cool, Hondo. Not sure of you know this or not, but you don't need to angle the fins on Tourbillions. The "wing" effect is really negligible. Simply having the stick straight across the top of bottom provides a stable base for the spin to start straight.. The bottom vents provide all the lift. :)

Z-bombs are basically single or twin ported stinger missiles. They launch standing up and are spin stabilized rockets, no wings or sticks attached. The difference between them and stingers is that stingers get there lift from a bottom port and the Z-bombs don't have this bottom port rather the side ports are slanted downwards, providing lift as it spins.

My understanding of a tourbillion is that one is launched like a cake insert with a lift charge and it spins on the way up and at the top.

Unfortunately there is a lot of terminology that gets confused in pyro. What I call the cake inserts is a z-bomb or a whirlwind, but I've also heard them called tourbillions. My definition of a tourbillion is a device that has two opposing vents on the ends, and two lifting vents on the bottom.

Looks very nice. A bit of coarse Al, or charcoal would really add a pronounced effect I think. A very nice umbrella like spread.

yes next few I make will try adding some al or charcoal just wanted to make sure I had the design right before trying different things