APC Forum

12 Micron Bright Flake Aluminum Powder Teflon De-Dusted

xetap

I recently received an order from a smaller-volume supplier.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but there was some Al thrown in as a sample, labeled: "12 Micron Bright Flake Aluminum Powder Teflon De-Dusted".

It has an extremely strong almost naphthalene odor to it (but not exactly), and a "greasy" feel. It doesn't pour as much as breaks apart. Never had- nor heard of- aluminum like this before. I don't know what to make of it. :unsure:

I will try some in a formula and see what the results are, but in the mean time, does anyone have any prior experience w/this? Any ideas on what the odor could be from?

will try some in a formula and see what the results are, but in the mean time, does anyone have any prior experience w/this? Any ideas on what the odor could be from?

Some info

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2472

lol, Crackers stuff. I have about 5lbs :P

I don't believe that is the Al that smells so bad. I asked him about that stinch in all his packaging. He told be that some of the saran wrap he uses has a naphthalene smell to it. Ya, it will drive you crazy, get rid of the saran wrap ASAP!!!

He said that he had good luck washing the "goo" out with camping fuel (naptha).

Its pretty new to the pyro's right now and I'm not sure anyone has tried it in anything yet. I have been wanting to get around to washing some of mine out to see how well it works for flash. It should prove good in silver streams and anything you want a lacy Al effect in. It really needs to be cleaned though, so it can be used as a powder. You are not likely to knead it into any star comps.

I like that stanky Al so far, the price is right. It has to be screened though, I put it through 40 mesh and it floats a silver mess everywhere. The stench went away after a week or three. I've tried 20% in C6 comp. And it burns fiercely in the barium nitrate "brilliant core" comp I made. The "spoon tossed star test" nearly burned my hand off. That particular comp burns super fast and violently, ultra bright white.

i just orderded some of this stuff from him.i read that some people actually use it for a cheaper (i think its like $3 a lb) and slower flash . the added stearic acid makes it burn very white hot. Edited by zwdog922

I put the stuff outdoors in layered plastic grocery bags loosely tied to let the solvent escape.

And how did that work?

I can't believe you guys have got this marshmallow paste to work with things.

I think it was running about $3/ld or something like that. Its really damn cheap for being Al.