APC Forum

substitute for quickmatch?

shagaKahn

Anyone ever used this "sticky match" from Firefox? Description is a bit vague and I'm not sure what I'm looking at in this picture of the product at their site:

http://firefox-fx.com/images/dscn2188.jpg

The burn speed of the fast variety seems remarkable. (Does quickmatch burn even close to 80-100 feet per second? Jezus!).

(Product is on this page: http://firefox-fx.com/ignition.htm 'bout halfway down).

Thanx,

s

My guess is sticky match is quickmatch with an adhesive coating on one or both sides, but I have no experience with it.

The burn rate of QM can be altered and depends on a few factors, how well the black match is contained, and how many strands are used in the QM. This is assuming standard bp was used in the process and the cotton string was coated sufficiently.

Sticky match is a trail of granulated bp trapped between two pieces of plastic tape (e.g. packing tape).

Never made it myself but it doesn't surprise me that it is extremely fast.

That sticky match is a bit different if it's the same stuff I've seen before. It's a wide piece of tape with a trail of granular BP down the center, roughtly 4FA I'd say. Over this is a thinner (width wise) piece of tape to seal in the BP. This leaves a strip of sticky stuff on the outer edges. It's used to quickly fuse lance pieces.

Yes, quickmatch can actually hit 200-300 feet per second from what I've heard.

I'm lead to believe that the product that firefox sells is the same stuff I'm familiar with based on appearance, and the city of manufacture.

yeah sticky match is really easy to make (if you only want to make short bits of it) I just get a strip of duct/marsking tape and lay it on the ground sticky side up get a spoon of some fast BP and then run a trail down the middle of the tape. Now get another piece of tape and place it on top and make sure you seal the sides. Insert a piece of visco and wala, you got sticky match, great for leaders.

Here is a video where i use the sticky match, in the 2nd shell, near the end you can really hear the sticky match, it goes off like a firecraker, lol. Great stuff, most recomended...by me :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZonHhCcJno

Funny how I always end up watching war and firearms video's when I click a Youtube link :P .

I've made stickymatch many times when I was out of blackmatch. When using it as a leader for shells I'd recommend wrapping it in (gummed) paper to prevent the plastic from the tape from sticking on the inside of your mortars. This also gives a tiny bit of protection against sparks igniting it from the sides.

Anyone here tried StickyMatch using H3 or Whistle?

I did :P ... WOW!

I plan on using ~ 10-20 ft on my next show just for a giant firecracker chain efect!

Maybe throw in a small ground salute at the end :lol:

Ala mumbles and trublu's suggestion I just tried making a 1-ft length of it with 2" wide box sealing tape (cello) and I must say it was deliciously fast.

Used a small funnel to channel the bp onto the tape and still I think I used way more bp than necessary. Gotta refine that step.

Thanx all for the feed,

s

Maybe one of those big 50CC veterinary syringe bodies would make a good powder trickler to lay a BP trail on the tape. Remove the plunger, then sequentially drill out the nozzle of the syringe until the selected BP flows at a nice, modest rate. Then, hold it like a big Sharpie marker and run it along the center of the inverted tape.

You remind me there's an old cake decorator device lurking somewhere in the garage that would suit perfectly.

Thanx,

s