APC Forum

The Best Metallic Fueled star formulars

TrueBluePyro

Ah the silver waves look beautiful. I'v never experienced them in real life as I havn't had access to fine al flake till recently. Though i do intend to in the future!

I was kinda talking about bright bright white peony stars. I'v seen a few formulas on passfire im just curious as to who has any they have tried and would recommend.

Edited by Steps

I might play around with that formula, thanks Mumbles.

Does the wheat paste give any problems when rolling?

~Milky~

Couldn't tell you. These kinds of formulas are designed to be cut for traditional italian canisters, or pressed into comets. I've also pressed them into comets without problems. I don't know how you'd go about spraying wheat paste. It's thin, but still kinda viscous. Think something on the order of egg white or whipping cream. The powdered wheat paste takes a while to activate, so I don't know how that'd work out either. If anything, I'd suggest something along the lines of toro rolling. "traditional" (in the western world) rolling would never allow the composition I posted above to pick up evenly due to the coarse flake, and the high amount of fine flake would fly everywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
Lancasters red star uses PVC as the binder. The PVC is also a chlorine donor, correct? I don't want to spend the time and money looking for solvents when I have dextrin at my disposal. Could dex be used as a binder rather than PVC?

Lancasters red star uses PVC as the binder. The PVC is also a chlorine donor, correct? I don't want to spend the time and money looking for solvents when I have dextrin at my disposal. Could dex be used as a binder rather than PVC?

The PVC acts as a fuel and a chlorine donor, it can be used as a binder but you need THC or MEK to dissolve it. I use +5% Dextrin, and sub the Mg with MgAl, if you are going to use Mg I suggest you use red gum or any other acetone/isopropyl alc soluble binder. Or sub 5% of the PVC with parlon and use acetone as the solvent.

Nothing. It's the water used to bind dextrin that's the problem for Mg. Red gum uses alcohol...

edit- I just wanted to add this. I don't have a lot of experience making this stuff, but I read A LOT. That question you asked leads me to understand you've not researched enough to use Mg. When I see compositions containing magnesium as a fuel, I cringe. It makes me think of things like "spontaneous combustion" and "people burning alive". Yes I have potassium dichromate if I chose to make one containing Mg, but even when bound with a non-aqueous binder like red gum, untreated Mg is too unstable with oxidizers for me to feel safe with it. Just a heads up, new people don't get all the info from forum snippets on the web. When people suggest Mg, the word "treated" might be added. An exception might be plastic bound comps like parlon/acetone. be safe man

Edited by swervedriver

I am aware that Mg and water don't mix very nicely. The Mg I would use would coated.

FYI - as long as you are not using NH4KClO4, a Linseed Oil coating will protect Mg against oxidation *better* than K Di-Chromate - FAST, pg. 124.

Aaah, ok Firetech good ^_^

FYI - as long as you are not using NH4KClO4, a Linseed Oil coating will protect Mg against oxidation *better* than K Di-Chromate - FAST, pg. 124.

I was reading in AFN III how the military uses linseed oil when making Mg fueled compositions, and I presume they don't play around with safety. The article describes how untreated Mg powder was swept off the floor and inadvertently put in an open waste container on top of discarded flare comp. It spontaneously ignited within just a few hours.

I read that in FAST too. He also says Na2CO3 will attack Mg through linseed oil. He states that K dichromate works safely enough in pyrotechnic practice for all the listed chems other than HCl acid. Linseed oil is certainly the healthier option though...