APC Forum

A strange question

Richtee

For any pyro fan to ask-

I would like to know how to safely reduce some chems for disposal.

Barium Nitrate

K dichromate

PPerc

Black copper oxide

Antimony Tri

If it's too difficult guess I'll have to pay someone to take them.

For any pyro fan to ask-

I would like to know how to safely reduce some chems for disposal.

Barium Nitrate

K dichromate

PPerc

Black copper oxide

Antimony Tri

If it's too difficult guess I'll have to pay someone to take them.

The best solution would be to "help a brother out" and provide the chems to a fellow pyro.

The safest way to reduce them is to send them to me :D ...seriously, if you're interested in shipping, let me know the qtys and what you want for them.

Barium nitrate - convert to the sulfate with sodium or potassium sulfate.

Dichromate - acidify and add sugar. It will turn orange, and green, and perhaps black.

The other three you can't reduce or make safe. Even the above don't make them able to be flushed down the drain.

The question that begs is why do you wanna get rid of these without using them?

Did you get hurt or something?

First responses were apt: pass them on. (Best disposal is to send them up in the air not down in the ground/water).

The safest way to reduce them is to send them to me :D ...seriously, if you're interested in shipping, let me know the qtys and what you want for them.

Well...I dunno about regs on that stuff... do I have to be licensed to sell it? And what will the charges be? Quite honestly, due to my situation, I'd rather destroy them... but if impractical... I dunno. Hate to see them wasted for sure.

Burn it. Put it all in a big pile and burn it all at once.

No seriously, keep the chems but burn all the comps and stars, the chems will not be a problem to have at home since there are many legit uses for them. Fuse and such would not be to hard to come by if and when you want to start up again.

You've made some valued posts so we wouldn't want to lose you! If you want rid of the chems send them out among the community here. Someone may even collect! If your federal officers are onside then you may have an opportunity to determine and apply for all the permits to make your interests legal. If you can get fully compliant then the community may return the favour and re-supply you.

No seriously, keep the chems but burn all the comps and stars, the chems will not be a problem to have at home since there are many legit uses for them. Fuse and such would not be to hard to come by if and when you want to start up again.

Andy...I am a marked man. Without going thru the steps of getting legal, which I cannot afford- I must just step away. Surely you see this- I cannot even think about ever continuing without the correct licenses and credentials. As it's not affordable, I must cease.

I'm worried about getting a bill from the county for 20K for the bomb squad, the hazmat team the fire truck... all unneccessary...but they were here. That will bankrupt me.

I would say just sell your whole lot. Put all of it in a box and ship it to some pyro. Make up a list of the chems, lbs of each and the price you would like to get out of the lot and post it in the Augora (spell that right?). Then you could likely sell the ball mill separately also.

Just don't dump that shit down the drain. The EPA will not be happy if they find out you dumped Dichromates and Heavy metals down the drain.

Shipping some of the things he has is still illegal, or at least a gray area. I think one is supposed to go through a hazmat shipping program before being allowed to ship things ORM-D. I've done it without any formal training, but no one at the post office even knew how to handle it the first time I went in there. They had to get the postmaster in there to see what to do. They'd never seen an ORM-D label before.

The best thing to do would be to find someone in the area and do it in person. You could still come to the PGI for one last hurrah too.

FWIW I've shipped ORM-D ammunition with no problem. And I just received a pile of fast paper fuse from an indivudual at Passfire, shipped USPS and properly labled ORM-D as well. It can be done legally.

Andy...I am a marked man. Without going thru the steps of getting legal, which I cannot afford- I must just step away. Surely you see this- I cannot even think about ever continuing without the correct licenses and credentials. As it's not affordable, I must cease.

I'm worried about getting a bill from the county for 20K for the bomb squad, the hazmat team the fire truck... all unneccessary...but they were here. That will bankrupt me.

So it's for real then, that sucks big time. Most people take a few steps back but they get sucked back in again, seems like you aren't going to be one of them. :(

In that case, I only know of one thing that I would do (unless someone wanted to pick it up at my place) and that is to leave it at the Hazardous material depot, although I don't think you have that in the states because someone would probably have brought it up by now. Anyway, I hope you will be alright and if they come after you wanting to get paid for that stuff, drop us a line and I think there are more people then me that would be willing to send you a buck or two.

So it's for real then, that sucks big time. Most people take a few steps back but they get sucked back in again, seems like you aren't going to be one of them. :(

In that case, I only know of one thing that I would do (unless someone wanted to pick it up at my place) and that is to leave it at the Hazardous material depot, although I don't think you have that in the states because someone would probably have brought it up by now. Anyway, I hope you will be alright and if they come after you wanting to get paid for that stuff, drop us a line and I think there are more people then me that would be willing to send you a buck or two.

Yep- considering it's in the Federal arena now, I assume any ordering of anything related will be monitored. In the future I may "get legal" if the opportunity, and finances present themselves, as I do love the art.

Hmmm I'm not aware of a haz deopt system here, but there are places I can take it. I also may have a purchaser for the stuff without having to ship...which would be ideal. Hate to see it go to waste :{)

Thank you for the generous offer... keep your fingers crossed that it won't come to that. I sure am.

I appreciate the support and information y'all...yer a great bunch o guys!

A pict of the front of my house... sheesh.

post-6205-1238785884_thumb.jpg

Mods this is OT... please move to the Random thread as you see fit...

Edited by Richtee

Yep- considering it's in the Federal arena now, I assume any ordering of anything related will be monitored. In the future I may "get legal" if the opportunity, and finances present themselves, as I do love the art.

Hmmm I'm not aware of a haz deopt system here, but there are places I can take it. I also may have a purchaser for the stuff without having to ship...which would be ideal. Hate to see it go to waste :{)

Thank you for the generous offer... keep your fingers crossed that it won't come to that. I sure am.

I appreciate the support and information y'all...yer a great bunch o guys!

A pict of the front of my house... sheesh.

post-6205-1238785884_thumb.jpg

Mods this is OT... please move to the Random thread as you see fit...

The chems went to a good home... :{) Again, thank ya all!