APC Forum

copper acetate

TYRONEEZEKIEL

I have been synthesizing copper acetate like crazy lately, but I can't find a decent formula for it. I know that the blues it makes are superior, but I can't seem to get my comps right. I usually use

Ammonium perchlorate 8

Copper acetate 2

Parlon 1

I use acetone binder and the stars work very good while still somewhat damp. Totally dry, the stars tend tohave very little flame, and the burning appears to be somewhat fizzly. To wet and the acetone just burns.

If anyone has any knowledge if the chemical I would love to know!

Thanks

I think it would need more fuels, maybe a bit of hexamine for a larger flame envelope?

I'v often theorised using Copper acetate for formulas as it seems it could be useful and i think it has a very low fuel value as pure acetic acid vapours are apparently flammable. Though i have never tried it good to see someone who did!

Steps

Perhaps you might want to replace the Parlon with a more reactive fuel. There will already be plenty of Chlorine from the AP.

If I replace the parlon, what should I use to bind them?

I have dextrin and nc lacquer.

Also what fuel? CuCO3?

Pretty sure copper carbonate isn't a fuel.

Maybe Shellac, Lactose, Hexamine or Red gum.

Edited by Steps

True true copper carbonate isn't a fuel. But it burns many times faster in same proportion she. Substituted for the acetate.

Oh well there are plenty tried and tested AP formulas with Copper Carbonate, I'v read around the place that it is one of the best copper donors in combination with AP.

In my opinion, copper acetate is too hygroscopic and too acidic to be useful as a colorant in pyrotechnics.

Why would the acidiy matter? This stuff is comparable to making Paris green kind of blues. Paris green is much more acidic than this I believe

Acidity causes compatibility issues, such as certain metals, chlorates, possibly some carbonates. Paris green is not nearly as acidic as copper acetate due to it's lower water solubility. If it can't dissolve, it can't produce protons.

Where did you hear copper acetate can produce paris green kind of blues?

I believe I read it in a rocket formula sheet of some kind.

If the acidity is a problem, couldn't I mix the acetate with copper carbonate to neutralize the comp?

If my composition is

copper acetate 2

parlon 1

ammonium perchlorate 8

and my copper carbonate composition is

ap 68

parlon 12

CuCO3 13

should I make a mixture of the two?

also, I would like to know about the actual uses of the chemical, I want to make very deep rich blues with no red tips or any contamination. I read on firefox i believe that copper acetate is used to make rich blues.

What would be the composition that I should use, the carbonate does burn very fast, it tends to be rather white in the sky?

People and their blues. I've never had any troubles with blues except that they like to burn really slow. I have a carbonate formula and a oxide formula, both are about the same solid blue, and both burn retardedly slow. I have an AP based blue that burn really fast, its carbonate based. Its odd cause if you light a loose pile it looks and if the pile ties to roll away burning. It might make good go-getters.