APC Forum

Is "potassium iodate" (KIO3) usefull for anything?

iv81

Is it possible to use this stuff for pyro?

I have a bottle filled with tablets that's soon to expire made incase of a nuclear fallout. And if you intake them 2 times daily they sorta prevent you from absorbing radioactive iodine from the atmosphere so you don't get cancer and such.

But my question is strictly pyro related and since it's very simmilar to KCIO3, I was wonderingg if I can use this stuff for something like ignition charge, flash or propellant.

I have never read of it being used as anything other than as radiation pills... If it was hypoiodite perhaps you could make iodoform with it... in the same way hypochlorite is used for chloroform in a haloform reaction...

As for pyro use... if your going to get rid of it anyways i would say try a little out with sucrose... or a H3 like composition...

Or perhaps it can be transformed to potassium periodate by baking at a certain heat in the same way IIRC potassium chlorate can be baked to potassium perchlorate and potassium chloride... Then periodic acid?

It is so you don't get radioactive iodine in you thyroid gland, leading to cancer. Also, I am thinking it would be KI.

Ok, I see why. The bottle sais that each tablet only has 85mg of potassium iodate (KIO3) and when I weigthed the 2 crusehd tablets, they came out to somewhat 0.7 grams so about 0.300 - .350 each, that would be around 25% of pure KIO3. The rest is "Pre-gel vegtable starch, serbitrol and dicalcium phosphate as a filler and magnesium stearate as lubricant" - so sais on the bottle.

Anyway to purify this? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it can be either, KI is just more known IMO. To find out how to seperate the stuff, just search around google. Of course, you're not going to find a websited titled "How to seperate the potassium iodate from ____ brand radiation pills" Search for solubilities of each chemical added to the tablet.

• 8 months later...

sorry for the bump but i think some people might find it interesting.

it can be used just like chlorate. KIO3 is a oxidiser .. and a quite powerfull one. the problem is if you want to recieve colors you cant use chlorine donors. you need iodine donors or to use plain monoiodates wich are not the cheapest thing. but if you do have monoiodates, you can recieve some very good colors.

considering your pills its crap ... sorry but it is. it contains a very small amount that wont be sufficient for anything.