• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

My second attempt. First was using .375 pressed stars... this time I went 1". Kinda needed a bit more lift for the stars I guess... but they DID burn out before grounding....bonus! Used the "sculpy" supposed rocket fuel for the delay. The stars were a standard strontium red, with commercial dragons eggs pressed in, bound with NC and poly glue.
Visit My Website

I'll keep working on them. A 3" would be cool!
I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#2 Steps

Steps

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Pyro and Music

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

That was pretty sweet dude. I don't think iv made a roman candle before. Might have to give it a try :D
Previously known as Elstevo.

Not a Bumblebee

#3 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

Not bad at all! I like the "fountain" effect between shots.
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#4 ThePyroManiacMan

ThePyroManiacMan

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

That was a really good one , it would be interesting to see a night shot test to ,or what do you think?

#5 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

That was a really good one , it would be interesting to see a night shot test to ,or what do you think?

well yeah... I was just trying not to piss off the wife and neighbors ;)

I am building a 6 shot 1 inch. I'll risk the backlash for that one. Cool devices!

Edited by Richtee, 18 March 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#6 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

I am building a 6 shot 1 inch. I'll risk the backlash for that one. Cool devices!

A pre-fire shot... Hmm Sunday night...good time to let 'er rip eh? ;{)

Posted Image

#7 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

A pre-fire shot... Hmm Sunday night...good time to let 'er rip eh? ;{)

Shit...got the first "fountain" shot off...and the fucker blew up. I might have video...but I was ducking. Dammit.

1" failure

Upon looking...and listening a couple times, seems my time delay failed. I MAY have cracked the first...err..in loading the last FULL star. Which would cause a premature launch and mess up the next delay... etc. Grr there goes the better part of a pound of materials...sigh.

Edited by Richtee, 23 March 2009 - 06:31 AM.

#8 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hmmmm, seems I have to install Apple Quicktime to view that file. I'll be back with comments once I can see the video. :D
program: n: a magic spell cast upon computers, which turns user input into error messages. v: A pastime akin to beating one's head against a wall, but with fewer rewards and less personal satisfaction.

#9 TheSidewinder

TheSidewinder

Firebreather

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

OK, now i can see it.

Well, that first shot was certainly nice. :D

The candle isn't "in-frame" when it blows, but I see the aftermath.

Didn't seem like it blew up very vigorously, though?

#10 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

That was pretty nice mine in any case, Richtee! What did you use for a delay between shots, and how tight were the stars in the tube?

Speaking of having to install Quicktime (which I loath), why can't we save the file and view it locally?

Edit: Here's the direct link for those of you who don't want to taint their browser with the quicktime add-on. http://www.apcforum....5_21_904416.mov

Edited by FrankRizzo, 23 March 2009 - 04:44 PM.

#11 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

OK, now i can see it.

Well, that first shot was certainly nice. :D

The candle isn't "in-frame" when it blows, but I see the aftermath.

Didn't seem like it blew up very vigorously, though?

Sorry about the QT...Ahh us MAc guys...anyway..I found the tube this AM, seemed to be more like a "rocket launch" after the second "stage" failed. I'm still suspecting a damaged time delay between the first whole star, and the second, causing a complete firing of all. The tube was found 100 foot away with the base badly shattered, the fiberglss tape in shambles. Altho I have used them in the past- 'twas also a spiral wound tube...never good in these apps.

#12 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Edit: Here's the direct link for those of you who don't want to taint their browser with the quicktime add-on.

Heh "taint" ;{)

I used the Sculpy "rocket fuel"...as I did in the first vid of this post- a 3 shot. But again, I felt a weird "crack" tamping the last star... it was either that..or the deeper 'grooves" in this tube as opposed to the first..which I also sealed with waterglass.

Thanks for translating to Windoze stuff ;{)

Edited by Richtee, 23 March 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#13 Plasm7

Plasm7

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Im planning on making a 2inch candle launching shells. Have you ever used shells in your candles (i couldnt view the first one) and have you ever used sawdust in between shots?

#14 firetech

firetech

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

Shells should work the same as stars (or comets) however I'm not sure that the 'smith method' as described in the SL article would be ideal at that size.

#15 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

My second attempt. First was using .375 pressed stars... this time I went 1". Kinda needed a bit more lift for the stars I guess... but they DID burn out before grounding....bonus! Used the "sculpy" supposed rocket fuel for the delay. The stars were a standard strontium red, with commercial dragons eggs pressed in, bound with NC and poly glue.
Visit My Website

I'll keep working on them. A 3" would be cool!

oops.. vid gone..this is similar.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users