APC Forum

Ball Mill Media Question

zwdog922

I read on Cannonfuse.com that I could replace ball mill media with $2 worth of nickels. Is this valid? I would really rather give up $2 than spend $25 on media.

Here's the link: CannonFuse Ball Mill

(Read the light grey print)

You could, although I'm not sure if it'd be considered misuse of government property. And you'll need more like $10 in nickels. I know a few people have used coins on the forum, but they really don't work very well, the shape is completely wrong for milling. Also, that type of tumbler is NOT a ball mill. Ball mills turn faster than that thing will, and so achieve a different action inside. A tumbler just sort of rolls everything around, and a ball mill has a cascade of media, and where the media are falling, the stuff being milled is crushed and pulverized.

There's no need to spend $25 on media, if you make a little effort you could get some lead wheel weights, something to melt them in, and make a cylinder mold out of a couple pieces of hardwood (using a drill bit). Obviously, melt the lead, flux with just a dab of wax (candle wax would work) and pick the steel clips off the top of the melt (they float). Then pour the lead into your improvised wood mold and let cool.

To make the mold, screw or clamp two hardwood boards together, and along the line where they are clamped, drill a series of ~1/2" holes using a good sharp drill bit (spade bit or forstner bit preferred). To release the lead after it's set, just unscrew/unclamp the boards and they fall right out.

There's no need for this to be any more expensive than you want to make it, but cost = effort as always.

thx for the info, i tried it today but it just flattened my rocket fuel against the side.

You will in fact need way more than $2 worth. I did this back when I was first getting started when I was probably 14. It works, but take a long time. I don't know where you got $25 from. $10 worth of lead shot will underfill that kind of mill, but can pump out decent BP in 8-12 hours.

On the topic of melting wheel weights, as for Swedish forumites, forget it. I went to a wheel shop a few weeks ago and the guy there said that the government banned the use of lead in wheel weights. It's still a godd source for zinc since that's what they are made of nowadays. For lorries (trucks) they are still made out of lead though, so if they change on trucks you still have a chance if they are not certified (environment) because they will refuse to sell it to you then.

I don't know where you got $25 from.

Look @ this: (United Nuclear)

Hardened Lead/Antimony

Grinding Media

Approximately 1/2" diameter, hardened Lead-Antimony (non-sparking) balls. Heavy & highly efficient grinding media perfect for use in that Ball Mill you're planning on making, or increase the grinding efficiency of your existing mill by adding additional balls.

NOTE:

If you're going to be milling Black Powder (Gunpowder), only use Lead-Antimony balls or Bismuth, as they are completely non-sparking.

Package of 100.

$25.00

For not a whole lot of effort you could turn that same $25 into a setup for melting lead or magnalium, and cast your own media. Then, when you decide that tiny tumbler just doesn't do it for you, you can cast more media for a larger jar.

Plus, consider this: it's something constructive to do, and it can be a lot of fun.

For not a whole lot of effort you could turn that same $25 into a setup for melting lead or magnalium, and cast your own media. Then, when you decide that tiny tumbler just doesn't do it for you, you can cast more media for a larger jar.

Plus, consider this: it's something constructive to do, and it can be a lot of fun.

yeah thats a good idea

I've always liked the idea of casting the lead into 3/8" or 1/2" Cu pipe joiner sections. These can even be bought pre-tinned inside. You can then either cap them while still hot, or leave the lead ends exposed. A 2 X 4 can be drilled for a few dozen of these little Cu pipe joiners.

Swede,

You mean, use the copper pipe joiner pieces as molds, or use them as-is filled with lead? If using them as molds, I found out the hard way that linotype alloy doesn't come out of copper tube very easily. Unlike soft alloys of lead, linotype is designed not to shrink on cooling, which is a problem. ;)

Wouldnt the copper have a chance of sparking though if you just filled it with lead and used that as media?

I've never in my life seen or heard about copper sparking, so I guess you're quite safe. Copper is quite soft, just like lead.

I was thinking of using them (the pipe joiners) as permanent jackets, and using Pb heavily alloyed with tin and/or antimony for max hardness. The idea of preheating and swabbing with rosin is excellent.

This brings to mind again the thought of using full metal jacket bullets, as supplied to reloaders, for media. A .45 auto FMJ in as heavy a bullet as you can get would probably mill really nicely, and the price would not be outrageous. They have FMJ ammo with Cu covering the base completely, and bullets with an exposed Pb base; the former would be superior in a ball mill.

One of my favorite media will always be 1/2" or 3/4" dia brass bar, cut into sections, but that can be really expensive these days if you have to buy the brass commercially. Brass works great for BP or just about anything.

But the best for last - My depleted uranium media. All ur media are belong to me, as my DU slugs turn your puny copper widgets into dust. Of course that is a fantasy, but I can dream!

One of my favorite media will always be 1/2" or 3/4" dia brass bar, cut into sections, but that can be really expensive these days if you have to buy the brass commercially. Brass works great for BP or just about anything.

I've had good luck lately finding brass cutoffs on Ebay. Of course, I don't know if I'll ever find them again. The cutoffs are short lengths of brass round bar which were the leftovers when someone made something else. They're too short to be much good to anyone, but they're useful as ball mill media.

It's still a bit expensive (~$40 per eighty 3/4" X 3/4" slugs), but if your time is worth even a little bit, and you don't want to take up lead casting as an extra hobby, I think it's well worth it. Plus, I wish to make rocket engines which I'll use with my son, so having lead contaminated powder does not appeal.

But the best for last - My depleted uranium media. All ur media are belong to me, as my DU slugs turn your puny copper widgets into dust. Of course that is a fantasy, but I can dream!

The ultimate media. :-) But would you end up with uranium dust in your powder?