APC Forum

Sky falling in GA

xetap

You all up North will laugh, but this is news around here.

Notorious for having bad drivers, Georgia will probably be declared a disaster area after a day of this! Temp is just above freezing- the REAL trouble will begin when the roads, trees and overhead wires ice up tonight in time for rush hour Monday morning. :(

Below is what greeted me this afternoon. I used the mower to cut the grass two days ago!

post-494-1235939623_thumb.jpgpost-494-1235939753_thumb.jpg

4" in 3 hrs. and still falling...

Edited by xetap

Ha ha, I'm up north right now! My flight home to NZ from boston was canceled due to the storm which is due to arrive in two hours! Looks like I am going to get to see my first snow storm.

I also come from warmer climes, so I share your excitement Xetap!

The inch or so snow fall we have had up here so far today is only the second time I have seen it snowing outside a skii field!

If you're in Boston, AND the National weather forecasters are correct, you're going to see one hell of a snowstorm.

If they're right, the entire East Coast is going to get pummeled starting tonight. I saw one forecast say 12-18 inches for Boston.

You might be there for a day or two. :D

I saw some footage from Atlanta today. When I was there for 5 days in December of umm... ~1994 I must have dragged the weather gods down there with me. They had the worst ice storm in 3 decades that week. Today's news looked nearly as bad.

Yeah, the snow is already piling up to the extent that the calcium chloride has been spent and the snow is again coating the road!.

Interestingly the police have towed every parked car on the road. I am staying on a main road in Central Boston, so perhaps it is to allow the snow plow to clear it as part of an operation clearing arterial routes?

Perhaps a native of a snow prone area can elaborate for me.

Apparently this has been a cold winter, and this will be the biggest storm yet. It cannot be too often that a river as close to the sea as the Charles river freezes over.

You are correct Seymour, they tow cars parked on city streets so they can plow with nothing in the way....Most towns around me in NH have parking bans during snowstorms and tow everything. Enjoy the snow!

Brian

We have alternate side parking here in the winter, so they can plow the snow to one side or the other. This of course is in effect from the middle of November to May, snow or not. It also doesn't mean they wont plow your car in either. Pretty much an excuse to give more parking tickets(as if they really needed one). On top of that they'll hand out "snow emergency" violation tickets when it actually does snow, which are 3x as much as normal.

Up here in my Canadian city, we have main streets that are designated "snow routes" for winter...no parking most of the time, as well as "overnight parking bans" on residential streets. On the residential streets, they will often plow in your car (maybe a ticket too) but they sometimes come to your door to get you to move your car or just tow the cars to a street that has been plowed already... you just have to find where your car is after :o

Hey, Seymour, I'm betting you're still stuck in Boston? :D

And we have streets designated as "Snow Emergency Routes". These get plowed first, after a Snow Emergency is declared. Then the side streets get plowed according to some arcane scheme dreamed up by the same drunken Irishmen that laid out our city streets back in the 1800's. :D

Funny methods you have!

Over here, they simply don't plow it there's too many cars in the way, like "We're not gonna drive slalom for you".

Also, they don't collect the waste if they cannot park right in front of the containers. The guilty car owner who parked there either has to bring the rubbish to the disposal site himself, of pay a big fine for an extra tour.

Seems to work most of the time....

yeah around here they just tow the cars...when parking ban is in effect they wont even knock on the door to tell you to move, just show up with a tow truck and pull it. Revenue generator for them I guess, so you pay $75 for the tow, $15 storage fee and parking ban parking violation....good stuff!

Brian

Hey, Seymour, I'm betting you're still stuck in Boston?

I am :D

Flight booked for 7.45am tomorrow. Lets hope this one is not canceled, or I might have to frolic in the snow for another day... :P

And thanks everyone for satisfying my curiosity!

From what I'm seeing of the National weather, you're going to get out of Boston just fine tomorrow morning.

I assume you have a stop somewhere before home. Is it a nice exotic (and warm!!) place? ;)

(I went from Mpls to Perth 2 years ago, and stopped in Tokyo. Gorgeous!)

I'm finally home after a grueling 32 hour journey...

I stopped over in LA which was comparatively warm and sunny, however nothing like the almost tropical south pacific heat of late summer home here in New Zealand.

Now, in between lectures and sleep I can fit in some pyro! Not only that, but things will dry, and dry fast. Provided it's not raining :rolleyes:

Glad to see you're home. LA's not a bad place to visit.

And yeah, I'll bet it's hot. Perth 2 years ago on Oz Day was 46C. It had been above 40 for several days. I thought I was going to die. :D

You all up North will laugh, but this is news around here.

I was in FL for 13 days doing some work, and my brother was driving down to deliver a vehicle to N FL. We were to meet up for an evening... we did but day late...he was in mid-GA on the first.... called me saying "Yer NOT gonna believe this, but..." LOL!

Edited by Richtee