APC Forum

Ball Mill: Washer vs. Dryer Motor?

trag

Any thoughts on whether a washer or dryer motor is better for a ball mill?

If I hadn't disposed of the motor I had saved out of my last washer as something, "I'm never going to use." the decision would be made. Sigh.

Anyway, it seems like dryer motors might be built for more continuous use than washers, since they can tumble for more than an hour at a time, whereas a washer motor has periods of agitate, stop, agitate, stop, etc. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that washer motors aren't rated for continuous use and they may have a larger load capacity (all that water).

Anyway, speculation aside, what are folk's thoughts on motors for ball mills and how to get them next to free?

There are a bazillion easy, free sources. If you've got friends, network - put the word out you're looking for a central furnace, washer, dryer. The only caveat to using a dryer or furnace motor is many don't have cooling fans built in, so you may have to do something to cool it. The furnace motor on my lathe has a fan, but it will overheat if I run the lathe real hard for 4-5 hours.

If you don't have friends, or they aren't effective, try back lanes or the garbage dump, or places where people dump applicances (ie back roads, industrial lots etc).

Around here when people buy new appliances the store usually collect their old machines so there are always old washers standing at the back of the places selling washers fridges and the likes.

Dryer..definitely. Washer motors usually have multiple windings for the different cycles that the washer goes through during operation. These windings are often a PITA to figure-out how to wire.

I just rebuilt my ball mill and lucked out on a new motor. It is a fan motor from an industrial unit heater, it does need external cooling, but I've always needed that as I used to use a barn exhaust fan motor. My new motor is 1075rpm and 1/3hp, but the best part is that it is reversable by simply switching two wires on the outside. If all you can find is a exhaust motor, it will still work, just needs cooling. My old motor was only 1/15HP and I easily turned 5+ lbs of media and goodies.

• 4 months later...
I used a washer motor and it took me a little while to get it figured out. There is a relay that needs to be energized. My mill is all up and running now though.

I doubt that it makes a huge difference