APC Forum

1" ball shell

thebobman

A little 1" plastic ball shell filled with red flying fish and green crackiling fuse. I used loose BP for burst and 50/50 flash and granulated BP for lift. I got a pretty nice symmetrical break though. :P

Did I mention it was my first shell?

^_^

Edited by thebobman

Pretty good break, and well done on the sucess for your first shell. One thing that puzzles me is that I didn't see any flying fish or crackling fuse, with the exception of one peice of FF. Did they light but were just very short, or was it the camera? Or was that ball of sparks just from the Bp?

Anyway it will be good to see some more stuff from you.

Edited by Yankie

Are you sure? It sure looks to me like you didn't prime the fuses, and they mostly blew blind. There was no crackling, and even very short pieces will visibly be flying about.

One thing that puzzles me is that I didn't see any flying fish or crackling fuse, with the exception of one peice of FF. Did they light but were just very short, or was it the camera? Or was that ball of sparks just from the Bp?

Anyway it will be good to see some more stuff from you.

LOL..well, I doubt they were much longer than an inch eh? ;{)

Bob-dude... did you mix up the lift Vs burst? I'd think it much more likely, and safer/more effective to save the FP mix for the burst. Use the straight BP for the lift. Also, I think perhaps ya had some stuff blow blind. Try priming the end of the FF with NC laquer bound BP.

Nice first shell man!

Yah I think your right I think the FF and crackling was blown blind.

Next time I'll prime the fuses with some BP. Then it should work.

The lift was 50/50 flash and granulated BP because my BP isn't quite powerful enough. The shell burst was just loose granulated bp mixed in with the fuses.

:D

The lift was 50/50 flash and granulated BP because my BP isn't quite powerful enough. The shell burst was just loose granulated bp mixed in with the fuses.

Another tip.... fray one of the ends before priming...that will really ensure pass fire to the buggers!

Hmmm on the BP...you ball milling? I would STILL suggest just using a bit more BP instead of boosting with flash for lift. Danger Will Robinson, DANGER! Plus, you run the risk of "flowerpotting"...shattering the shell in the tube.

Edited by Richtee

Better than my first shell, which blew about 80% blind.

Flying fish are neat, premade "stars" for small shells, but ultimately they ARE a fuse, and we've all seen how much contact with fire (from a lighter, say) it can take to ignite it, thus the blind FF. The prime at one end would work, or you could do both ends and maybe get some sort of spinning effect.

I have made a 3" experimental star + primed FF shell today just for fun, and illustration. I'll launch soon..and get a vid.

Carry on, soldier!

I use FF in 1" cylinder shells and small mines. I've never primed any, just cut on a good angle. The fuse is in a bundle on top of the break charge (shell) or lift charge (mine). The shells are blown out 1 end only...basically an aerial mine. Never had any ingintion problems this way.

See here for some mines:

In a ball shell I think priming may be necessary though. You could also try and fill 1 hemi with FF "standing up on end", and put the burst in the other hemi. You could also put the FF in small bundles and attach around the inside of the hemis with the ends of the FF facing the centre.

I have made a 3" experimental star + primed FF shell today just for fun, and illustration. I'll launch soon..and get a vid.

Carry on, soldier!

Grrr missed the frickin' break...but here..

3" FF/crackling primed

I'm sure you've read the cautions about using flash with your lift.

I would only add to not be lulled into complacency. All can seem fine until the critical amount of flash is added- then it can explode quite violently. There is no warning as to this critical amount- one lift will be OK, then one could unexpectedly explode with no warning with nothing having been changed except something as insignificant as the fit of the shell in the mortar.

That's why I always use a cardboard mortar and stand at least 50ft. away.