APC Forum

Another "name that effect"

DeepOvertone

I'm trying to find out what these little things are called. I've seen them quite a few times in Class C stuff and a few times in B.

They can be found in the first video in this post.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?s...ost&p=30557

They start around 2:30 in the video and end at about 2:53. I've nicknamed them whirlwinds.

I tried making one tonight but I think I didn't get it quite right. I used a 1/4" ID tube about 1" long with clay plugs on both ends. I used straight black powder with about 12% spherical Ti. I drilled a 1/8" vent/fuse hole on the side of the casing near one of the end plugs. I drilled the vent to get end over end rotation. It worked ok, however after reviewing that video a couple times it seems there are two vents in those devices. Also I don't hear any crackling like you get with Ti. So maybe its Al? Lastly I think that the 1/8" vent was too large for the one I made. The spray of Ti I got was very large and sparse. The ones in the video are very thick and dense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

30 something views and not a single reply??? wth? Is everyone as stumped as I am? I would also like to know if anyone can offer a video of a serpent. Or are these serpents? Thanks all

Hmm, I would say it just like a small hummer, and then dipped or rolled in coloured star comp. But I could be way off, thats just how I would do it.

The fuel isn't bright enough for Ti, and looks a bit too gold for Al, though it could be the camera, I suspect MgAl, but you could use Al.

Try making a mini hummer with 5-10% Al or MgAl, add a fuse and trim it flush with the tube, then prime it with some BP slurry. Once dry dip it in a star comp, wait till its dry, dip again, and repeat until its got a decent amount of star comp coating it.

Hmm, I would say it just like a small hummer, and then dipped or rolled in coloured star comp. But I could be way off, thats just how I would do it.

The fuel isn't bright enough for Ti, and looks a bit too gold for Al, though it could be the camera, I suspect MgAl, but you could use Al.

Try making a mini hummer with 5-10% Al or MgAl, add a fuse and trim it flush with the tube, then prime it with some BP slurry. Once dry dip it in a star comp, wait till its dry, dip again, and repeat until its got a decent amount of star comp coating it.

Thanks.. I'm not particularly worried about having a star turn into whatever that is. I just was wondering how the little silver spinner was made. I've seen them used alone. However I can see the appeal of coating them in a star comp. So I guess I'll try drilling the fuse hole as you would a hummer. I looked at the video again and it looks like the sparks branch at the end so I might try some steel filings as well as Al and MgAl. I'll see what performs the best. Anybody have any other suggestions? or know for sure? It might come down to taking apart some consumer stuff to figure it out.

Those are z-bombs.

http://www.vk2zay.net/article/16

The colored ones have the top plug recessed and filled with star composition. It looks like Ti to me personally in the ones in the video. I don't have my sound on though. Just the coarseness and hangtime makes me think Ti.

Wow...cool page! I gotta get me some tools. AFTER I find a way to pay my taxes. Shit. Off to the "Depression" thread...