Once and for all, the titles are:

Smelt the smoke

Playing with fire

Pyromaniac

Pyrotechnician

Firebreather

The numbers aren't really sorted out yet I think

Random question for y'all:

Regarding my impending reverb experiment, I'm told that a starting pistol works very well, but I don't have one, nor do I wish to buy one, or any blanks for that matter...

What kind of salute do we think would sound most like a starting pistol? I'm thinking maybe some granular BP in a thick walled 5" long tube with lots of wadding might work well... Any input would be appreciated.

Regarding my impending reverb experiment, I'm told that a starting pistol works very well, but I don't have one, nor do I wish to buy one, or any blanks for that matter...

What kind of salute do we think would sound most like a starting pistol? I'm thinking maybe some granular BP in a thick walled 5" long tube with lots of wadding might work well... Any input would be appreciated.

Depends on what are you looking for. Do you need a cannon like effect where the plugs get blown out or a banger type device.

If you are looking for a cannon type device simple wrapping some BP in Alu foil and inserting it in a tube and firing will give quite a powerfull bang.

Or if you prefer some deep booms a BP banger type device might be the way to go. I really haven't heard a starting pistol in real life so i can't tell exactly. But i can vouch for the banger, really deep boom which will last several seconds.

:lol: Wait.... Pyrotechnician is the second highest and Firebreather is the highest?!?! How in the world did ya come up with that one??

I am looking to try some different driver comps.....anyone have any I could try?? I'm especially looking for colors. There isn't many formula's out there for drivers......

Sticking to the old avatar, love that dude..

Btw, been long interested in that compositions section, it's very inspiring. Not always you see pyro comps on internet that have actually been tested by several members and with all the valuable suggestions included (primes, saftey etc).

I've always loved the avatar. The naming of the file, dude.jpg, is just awesome.

Anyway, yes, the composition section is probably one of my favorite things. I think I may start working on burn rate data. That is one thing I always wonder. It may be kinda hard. One could either make a bunch of different sized stars, of different methods and burn them. I am thinking of using a tube of the composition and burning it compacted at a specific pressure. It could hopefully be related in someway to stars.

Thanks Mumbles for the VIP invitation, nice to know I'm appreciated :)

And can you explain me the purpose of this forum? What is wrong with the old one?

BTW, very good work with the forum guys.

I'll just go and have a look at my box of starting caps...Okay, turns out the amount used was in the info sheet that came with it, which is either somewhere in the many piles of dead paper and rubbish and charcoal dust, or I threw it away.

I remember it either being 0.7g or 0.07g. I assume it was the latter, because 100 caps containing almost 1g of Armstrongs seems a bit dangerous.

So yeah, if you want to replicate a starting pistol (the cap gun type), they use 0.07g of Armstrongs mix (in Australia, anyway), that should give you some idea of what to aim for.

Well it's nice to see everyone here. So who has played with the skins? Is anybody using the deep red skin that resembles the old forum?

Well it's nice to see everyone here. So who has played with the skins? Is anybody using the deep red skin that resembles the old forum?

I'm on the Bohegena skin, more eye friendly, for me atleast.

Thank youMumbles for the VIP invite. I like the new forum. It definately has that new car smell.

I have probably missed this somewhere but any way...

When will the rest of the members be allowed to join the forum? Seems this place is preitty good to go.

BTW, I switched my skin to the normal IPB skin. I think it'd probably be a good idea to set the default of the forum to that. Though I guess a downside to that (sort of) is that it would look a lot like UKR.

Normal IPB skin is much easier on the eyes.

I noticed we have an info pool now? Where are you guys planning on hosting files? Do you have the space or is it a you host it for us and provide a link kind of thing?

I got a shit load of books I have collected over the years if your interested. (about 64 books) Including a 120page book that I personally wrote. And I have videos of various shows such as "blast masters", "on the inside: bomb squad", ect...

I doubt you will have that much room since I have over a gig of books alone! Not including the movies.

Let me know what is up with it and how I can help if you need it.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Here is the list of books I have:

A Professionals Guide To Pyrotechnics.pdf

Best of AFN 2.pdf

Best of AFN 3.pdf

Black Book Companion.pdf

Black Powder Manufacturing, Testing and Optimizing.pdf

Blasters Training Manual.pdf

Candy and Composite Motor Kit Manual.pdf

Chemistry and Technology of Explosives Vol1.pdf

Chemistry and Technology of Explosives Vol2.pdf

Chemistry and Technology of Explosives Vol3.pdf

Chemistry and Technology of Explosives Vol4.pdf

Chemistry of Powder and Explosives.pdf

Chemistry of Pyrotechnics - Basic Principles and Theory.pdf

CIA Field Expedient Methods for Explosives Preparations.pdf

Complete Kitchen Improvised Explosives Books.pdf

Easy_PVC_Rockets.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol1.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol10.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol2.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol3.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol4.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol5.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol6.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol7.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol8.pdf

Encyclopedia of Explosives and Reated Items Vol9.pdf

Explosives 5th Edition.pdf

Explosives and Propellants from Commonly Available Materials.pdf

Explosives Vol1.pdf

Explosives Vol2.pdf

Federal Explosives Law and Regulations.pdf

Field Manufactured Explosives.pdf

Fireworks Principles and Practice 3rd Edition.pdf

FM 5-250 Explosives and Demolitions.pdf

Glitter Chemistry and Techniques.pdf

High Explosives and Propellants 2nd Edition.pdf

Homemade C-4.pdf

Impact Firecrackers.pdf

Improvised Home-Built Recoilless Launchers.pdf

Improvised Munitions from Ammonium Nitrate.pdf

Improvised Primary Explosives.PDF

Improvised Rockets.pdf

Improvised Shaped Charges.pdf

LASL_Explosive_Property_Data.pdf

Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics.pdf

New and Improved C-4.pdf

Nitro Explosives a Practical Treatise.pdf

Practical Organic Chemistry.pdf

Preparing Chlorates.pdf

Preparing Perchlorates.pdf

Propellants and Explosives - Thermochemical Aspects of Combustion.pdf

Pyrotechnics_by_G._Weingart_2nd_ed._Corrected.pdf

Pyrotechny.pdf

Ragnar’s Homemade Detonators.pdf

Round Stars & Shells.pdf

The Chemistry of Explosives.pdf

The Complete Art of Firework Making.pdf

The Complete Book of Flash Powder.pdf

The Do-It-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook.pdf

Thermite.pdf

TM 21-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook.pdf

TM 31-201-1 Incendiaries.pdf

Two Component High Explosive Mixtures.pdf

Uncle Festers Home Workshop Explosives.pdf

*Also No im not emailing anyone books. They are kind of big and wont fit in a hotmail account or whatever. And I dont feel like sending out 500 books to people's personal emails. If you want the book join the info pool later on.

Ya, what's the deal gonna be with the info pool section, is it going to be password protected? How is access to it going to work? Same question for the HE section.

They will be member groups. Basically I click a button next to your name and you have access. We will start doing that soon I think after we invite the rest of the members. As for when that will be I don't know. I've posted in the mod section asking about it, but have heard nothing.

Looks good, guys! It wouldn't let me have less than three characters in my username so now I'm "EP." instead of just "EP" but whatever. As I've already told the mods/admins some time ago, I'm giving up my official position, but will still pop in from time to time, I can't do much pyro while at college.

Woohoo, i found out today that i WON my schools English competition.

No. 1 of 1000students.

Quite happy, now i gotta make a boom or i need a cookie. :D

Congrats, PGF! Well done. APC can take most of the credit, right? :D

BTW:

The compositions sections is now completely copied over to this new forum from the old one. With some help from Mumbles, I got the job done. I also bumped the newest discussions, so the threads wouldn't die.

Ok, everyone else has been invited over. I sent a forum e-mail. So all of the people already invited will be getting it too. I don't have the time to go through and prune all of those out.

Nice Job on the new forum. I guess I will be making a bit more pyro to celebrate. Things had really slowed down but now they are going to pick up.

P.S. Everything looks purdy

Weird to see EP relinquish his position. LOL, it's like all the original mods just up an left, except Mumbles.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes everyone to make the switch.

Is there a way to calculate the initial velocity of a shell being fired out of a mortar? I know there will be several constants needed like barrel length and the quality of the BP to determine gas output in an amount of time etc... I just need something to start working with. Any formulae would be great.

I will think about the muzzle velocity thing. I've done it before without the use of cameras, although that is the easiest way.

And just for the record, I was not an original mod. Way back in the day it was EP, and this girl named Nika(some numbers). Yes, I did say girl. She was a pyro, and a pretty good one at that. Then Mr. Yuk got the position over me. Then we had a revolution, and left Xinventions. We founded what became APC. EP and Yuk were mods. After a while they decided they needed some more mods. It was up between Blindreeper and I. Having already been passed over once, frankly, I would have been pissed if it happened again. They ended up letting us both in. We had spudgun modding the pneumatic section. We picked up Nesler. Blindreeper shared Info Pool files, and the need for yet another one came, and we promoted Spudgun. After a while a lot of the mods became idle. Mr. Yuk was off doing something, EP had started college, spudgun was working, Nesler was working. Honestly, It was me left. We promoted Andyboy. About 3 months down the road Andyboy had some problems. There were girlfriend issues, and legal issues. A lot of people were acting like little bitches, and honestly, we were all pissed off. Andyboy ended up quitting, and ultimatly deleting his account and website. Spudgun then quit. We found the need for even more. This took a while to discuss. We came up with 3 main names. Chaz, for all his hosting and technical support. Rooster came up along with Andyboy, but he had to go into the military. We promoted him the next time around. Lil_Guppy was also promoted for his skill, knowledge, and responsibility. Lil_Guppy had some things come up in his life, and retired from pyro. Now EP is officially taking a leave. Not sure about Nesler officially, but I suspect he is heading out, or at least doesn't wish for his modship back. Now we are left with Mr. Yuk, Chaz, Rooster, and myself. Now you know the whole story.

It seems like I've been writing a lot of random history of the forum stuff on the forums lately. I don't know why I wrote this. It is far too late for me to be doing stuff like that. It makes me feel good to remember the past and all the amazing members we have lost.

G'Day all,

Good to see the new forum looks similar to the old one (for me at leat the colours are the same-ish)

I must say that I look forward to the tutorial section getting filled up. It reminds me of the SEPE (Screaming Electron Pyrotechnic Encyclopedia) we had at TOTSE. That was quite good. I Look forward to filming and subsequently posting some nice vids of 4oz and 1lb rockets when I make then without having them blow a hole in the side of my dam...

Once again I forgot my camera (it is now in my girlfriend's backpack, I put it there when we went out and forgot to get it off her before she got on the bus) I'll see her most likely before I go back out to the vineyard (that is where I was told I had to move all my gear too...Weatherboard house you see...)

Anyhoo I start school again on feb 14th, I'll be in grade 11 and am looking forward to Design in Metal, English Communications, Drama and Physical Sciences. I am not, however, looking forward to Maths Applied. :/