APC Forum

Eye protection.

andyboy

Well, learned a few things today that I wanted to add. I am not experienced with metal working so these are a few tips to those just getting in to it:

1. Wear eye-protection when using an angle grinder at all times.

2. Wear special welding goggles when using a welder (and burning magnesium, titanium and other high candela comps).

I didn't and now I'm having a hard time seeing the monitor in front of me. My eyes burn like hell from the metal thats enbedded in my eyes and I have large white spots appearing everywhere.

Anyone think of any more times one should use eye-protection?

Well, learned a few things today that I wanted to add. I am not experienced with metal working so these are a few tips to those just getting in to it:

1. Wear eye-protection when using an angle grinder at all times.

2. Wear special welding goggles when using a welder (and burning magnesium, titanium and other high candela comps).

I didn't and now I'm having a hard time seeing the monitor in front of me. My eyes burn like hell from the metal thats enbedded in my eyes and I have large white spots appearing everywhere.

Anyone think of any more times one should use eye-protection?

Ouch. I got a touch of that "flash-burn" once working around my bro using a MIG welder. Not fun. Might want to hit the Dr's for a good wash-out.

Any time anything is being cut, beat, burnt, broken, loaded, cleaned.... just about no BAD time for it I suppose. And I'm WAAAY to slack about it.

Well, maybe not during sex...but..then again....

Edited by Richtee

Arc eye sucks, feels like someone is pouring sand in your eye. Had it happen when I flipped up my welding helmet visor to get my bearings and brushed the tip of a 5mm electrode on my bit of plate I was working on.

Was running those rods flat out at 200+ amps, was one hell of a flash.

Spent a night at the ER, I had to go since it felt like someone was poking me in the eyes with a red hot branding iron. I was laying here rolling on the floor screaming until I finally got to go to the ER.

Spent a night at the ER, I had to go since it felt like someone was poking me in the eyes with a red hot branding iron. I was laying here rolling on the floor screaming until I finally got to go to the ER.

Dude..I know that pain. I managed to scratch my cornea on my left eye a couple years back. OMG. Interesting, those drops that felt like heaven they put in yer eyes? Liquid cocaine ;{)

Try a fish hook in your right eye. Actually don't. I highly non-recommend it.

Given the fact that I don't have a spare, I tend to be quite meticulous about eye protection B) <--- See. Even the smiley has safety glasses

I've had my share of welding flashes and burns over the 5 or 6 years I worked as a welder and it sucks. A trick if you get "flashed" though, is to look up at a light on the ceiling and keep blinking, the white spot will go away and your eyes will refocus much faster.

Dude..I know that pain. I managed to scratch my cornea on my left eye a couple years back. OMG. Interesting, those drops that felt like heaven they put in yer eyes? Liquid cocaine ;{)

Yupp, felt like kissing the Dr and the nurse after the first burning sensation went away from the drops. The nurse told me it is supposed to be one of the worst pains one can experience, the worst part beeing that you can't do anything about it short of getting those drops. Needless to say, I'm picking up my prescription today.

Try a fish hook in your right eye. Actually don't. I highly non-recommend it.

Given the fact that I don't have a spare, I tend to be quite meticulous about eye protection B) <--- See. Even the smiley has safety glasses

So you really are one-eyed Charlie? Did you get a fish-hook in the eye, that sounds really painful.

Ok, so no fish hooks in the eyes, check.

I've had my share of welding flashes and burns over the 5 or 6 years I worked as a welder and it sucks. A trick if you get "flashed" though, is to look up at a light on the ceiling and keep blinking, the white spot will go away and your eyes will refocus much faster.

Do you mean that for when you get blinded or would it have helped in this scenario as well?

Added a pic of my eyes today, about 14 hours after the "incident" swollen as hell:

post-26-1234540023_thumb.jpg

I keep a tiny but freakishly potent neodymium magnet handy for ferrous metal in the eyes. When you get a tiny sliver in an eye, you WANT IT OUT NOW. It's hard to resist the temptation to rub, but with sharp objects, that's the worst thing you can do. The magnet has saved my bacon a couple of times and easily pulls out tiny ferrous slivers or pieces you can barely see, but hurt like hell. If you can't get a foreign object out, get thee to a hospital fast and do not manipulate the eye or lid.

Andy, I thought you were a vampire staring straight through my soul. The I realized you intentionally blocked out your pupils.

Do you mean that for when you get blinded or would it have helped in this scenario as well?

Added a pic of my eyes today, about 14 hours after the "incident" swollen as hell:

That is for when you get blinded. It won't help the arc burn itself, just helps you see again sooner without the white spot.

Edited by Bonny