APC Forum

Sucrose propellant Questions

thebobman

I've done Kno3/sugar rockets before, but I've never had a real success. I've been using a 70:30 blend of kno3 and sugar, powdered in a coffee grinder and dry rammed into cardstock by hand.

About 1 in 4 of the rockets I made actually flew. :(

I had a couple of questions:

1. I am making my own rocket tooling to make 14mm engines, 40mm long, with a 20mm core. I was wondering about using my workshop vice (it's pretty beefy) to press the rockets instead of ramming... I thought it might be more consistent/easier?

2.Would ball milling this propellant for a long time as a powder increase it's burn rate/thrust?

3.Could I store finished engines in a sealed container with small baggies of silica dessicant inside to prevent the finished engines from absorbing moisture?

4.I was planning to use water putty for nozzles as I heard it doesn't erode much. Before putting it in rocket tooling, how would i make the nozzle hole? drilling it out when dry or putting a hole in it when it's still wet?

I am so confused :wacko:

You SERIOUSLY need to read some more before doing anything.

That's not even the correct ratio for that propellant.

A simple search would be enough for you to learn what you're doing wrong.

You're asking some pretty stupid questions, especially considering the potential consequences of you effing up with one of these rockets, which sounds like where you're heading.

And your only other post was to a several month old thread with nothing to add to it, aside from some pretty obvious observations and a "hello".

Edited by LGM

I'm sorry if I ask too many questions but this is the newbie section. I thought this forum was pretty good but apparently I was wrong. Apparently you don't want to help someone to get into the hobby.

And attacking me about my other post? What's the god damn point?

And FYI, I've been doing this for more than a year, with NO accidents, not even a burn.

Edited by thebobman

First off, let me apologise for LGM. He does not represent the general member base. Most of us are mature and intelligent enough to carry on in a civil manner. I do hope you will stay.

LGM. Settle down. This isn't the first time you've jumped all over somebody. Do it again, and we going to have some issues. This is the newbie section. As the name suggests, it is meant for people starting out. There will tend to be questions the more experienced find to be common sense. You are in no position to be making any judgements about other members.

To answer your questions in no particular order:

LGM, despite making an ass out of himself, is correct. Modifying the propellant ratio will help to get the burn speed up. A catalyst, such as Fe2O3, will help as well. There are some modified methods of preparing the fuel that may also be of assistance. If melted, it seems to gain more power.

Yes, storing in plastic bags with dessicants will help to keep them dry.

A bench vise should be able to handle pressing these small rockets. It will indeed make them more consistent.

You don't mention the diameter of your nozzle. This could also be causing issues. Too large of a hole could prevent the rockets from generating the thrust needed.

I've heard that ball milling this composition doesn't do the same thing it does for BP. It tends to cake and clump. Generally a heat method is utilized as I have previously mentioned. There are some links below to help you out.

http://www.jamesyawn.net/candyrocket/index.html

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

TheBobMan - are you interested ONLY in KNSU? Have you considered Black Powder rockets? After looking at several web sites where guys are making molten sugar and potassium nitrate mixtures, it struck me that (for me, at least) BP was probably a better/safer choice! Just a thought.

Once you make your own GOOD BP, you will be hooked.

Good luck with your experiments, and please stay and ask questions.

I should appologize. I forgot this was the newbie section and got way out of line.

Cat litter would probably be an easier nozzle material to work with, as you can just ram it with the propellant.

Sugar rockets can take a pretty long core, I usually make mine the whole length of the grain with no problems.

Again, sorry for being a dick.

Thats OK. :)

Thanks Mumbles and everyone else for the information. It'll really help.

Oh and BTW, the rockets are 14mm OD, 40mm long, 2mm nozzle.

My homemade tooling will let me make the rockets with different nozzle depths, I'm thing full or 3/4 core?

Thanks

:D