APC Forum

fiberglass vs. HDPE mortars

Aimlesspayload

I ordered a 3" HDPE mortar online. The supplier is currently out of HDPE mortars, but is offering a 3" fiberglass mortar as a replacement. Fair trade? Are fiberglass mortars as safe/durable as HDPE mortars?

-Thanks for any replies.

(By the way, I was unsure if this should go in the pyrotechncs or safety section)

HDPE is a better mortar material in my opinion. Who is the vendor? That will tell us a bit more about the quality of the original HDPE ordered.

HDPE is a better mortar material in my opinion. Who is the vendor? That will tell us a bit more about the quality of the original HDPE ordered.

The original vendor is pyrodirect.com.

Edited by Aimlesspayload

I have only used HDPE I don't know if fiberglass is as good. Try Kastner they always have good stuff. Edited by crazyboy25

Isn't he a reseller of the pyrogear.net guns? I'd check with Noel over at pyrogear, he's a great fellow. If you're a passfire member there is a discount available.

Isn't he a reseller of the pyrogear.net guns? I'd check with Noel over at pyrogear, he's a great fellow. If you're a passfire member there is a discount available.

thing is, I've already paid for it. 6-7 bucks isn't worth the hassle of getting a refund. eh, I'll accept the fiber glass. whatever...

-thanks for the replies

FWIW, I've heard fiberglass guns lose nearly half their strength after 10 consecutive shots, no idea of the truth of the matter there, though. The number is probably less for smaller guns; my 1 7/8" FG gun is rock hard, can't imagine those little shells shattering the fibers.

Likely the strength loss is due to the gun heating up and the fiberglass resin/epoxy becoming soft and pliable, thus the gun loses much of it's strength..

Edited by tentacles

I thought that was 10 repetitive firings. Like you fire 10 in a row and the gun starts to loose strength. I just thought I'd clarify, as it makes it seem like you meant 10 shots period. Any professional shooters or pyro club will disprove the 10 total firings.

My vote tends to go with HDPE too. It's not as light, but I feel safer with it. I've actually heard that multibreak shells are better out of fiberglass due to the one piece construction. Buried into the ground of course.

I rather use fiberglass mortars. I've never seen one break or shatter, exept the time someone put a salute upside down in it. Good quality HDPE mortars having the right ID are quite hard to obtain where I live.

Shooting 6 pound 6" cannister with fiberglass mortars without any problems.

I'd be glad getting a 3" fiberglass mortar for 7 bucks.

Edited by FREAKYDUTCHMEN

fiberglass is almost always cheaper than HDPE. so he's definatley getting over on you for at least a few bucks, but HDPE is the superior gun to use. i'd either tell him to wait till it's in stock, or get your money back and deal direct with pyrogear.

noel is a standup guy, you can't go wrong ordering from him.

Edited by ST1DinOH