APC Forum

Chlorate stars

hondo

Ok I can make the question more specific, I want to roll on strobe cores this mixture:

KClO3 -58

Sugar - 18

CuO - 13

Pvc/parlon - 5

Red gum - 2

Dextrine - 4

Using alcohol: ethanol or 2-propanol ~25%

Prime with suphurless prime and BP.

I have already made these stars and yet no problems. Although I thought of replacing CuO with basic copper carbonate....

Anyway...

I'd treat it as instantly. By the time you're done processing it, there will be enough to increase sensitivity. The insoluble ones arn't nearly as bad. Even oxychloride I've heard is alright.

LTU, what kind of strobe are you using as the core? Ammonium perchlorate, or barium nitrate based? I wouldn't even think about it if it was AP based. Just two things I don't want anywhere near each other, even with significant barrier primes.

I am using bleser white strobe with barium nitrate. I dont have AP, but I know that extreme caution must be taken not geting AP mixed with chlorate.

And, mumbles, I am not very good at english can you explain in other words: "I'd treat it as instantly. By the time you're done processing it, there will be enough to increase sensitivity. The insoluble ones arn't nearly as bad". Thanks ;)

• 1 month later...

So I've been working with potassium chlorate since two months and I'll share my thoughts about it :

My biggest fear are ammonium compounds and because I got only one very small workplace, I just don't buy any. For cheap Russian smoke compositions, I use sodium nitrate instead.

My chlorate workplace is separated, with another tooling. There isn't much tooling though, only one screen and sheets for diapering. Still haven't got a "chlorate only" ball mill jar and media though, I have to use a coffee grinder but it grinds fine enough to make good blue comps.

If you guys get a contamination you should know that the danger is much bigger with sulfur containing comps contaminated with chlorate than chlorate based comps contaminated with sulfur. Why ? Because you will be confident that the sulfur containing mixtures have very low sensitivity to shock and friction and you could ram, press or even ball mill them. In the other way around, you will know that chlorate mixtures should be handled gently and the chances of an accident are much lower.

I didn't like H3 for 3" shells though, because the break is exaggeratedly high. I'll keep it to BP on hulls and I'll coat the chlorate stars with sulfurless meal for maximum safety.