APC Forum

Construction bonus!

Richtee

I been in homes being built for 20+ years, and this is the first time I have seen all aluminum frame windows being built... err cut to fit on site. Needless to say I have a nice supply- about 2 Lbs so far... of carbide blade cut aluminum shavings. Gotta figger out how to break them down just a LETTLE more. Since they be cold worked to death coming off the blade they SHOULD just about crumble. Any tried and true methods? I'm thinking just a rubber coated hunk of 2X4 and a concrete slab.

Maybe in the blender for a while might chop em up a bit.. What size are they? Got a picture with size comparison? I've seen those cold cut saws, really neat SOB's, cut steel like it's hardwood! I'm guessing they're like 3/32"x1/8"? You might be able to make a firefly comp, or just toss em in a comet (chrys 6/8 or TT maybe) for some metal sparks.

Maybe in the blender for a while might chop em up a bit.. What size are they? Got a picture with size comparison? I've seen those cold cut saws, really neat SOB's, cut steel like it's hardwood! I'm guessing they're like 3/32"x1/8"? You might be able to make a firefly comp, or just toss em in a comet (chrys 6/8 or TT maybe) for some metal sparks.

The coffee grinder got me what I wanted... don't have screens so fine but it's about an 80-100 mesh I'd think. Nice for a strobing star. Beat the hell outta the grinder tho. Going tomarrow for a new one for coffee. I DO get beans on ocassion. And of course the rub spices. I did once forget to clean it after a batch of peppercorns. Interesting coffee...

It is possible to take a standard bladed coffee grinder, and modify the blade with a dremel for a vastly better cutting effect. If you feel the blade, it is actually quite dull. Sneak in there with a dremel and a small mounted alox stone, and create a series of scallops on the blade, like a steak knife. Be sure you're working on the leading edge of the blade. Presto, instant 5X performance!

It is possible to take a standard bladed coffee grinder, and modify the blade with a dremel for a vastly better cutting effect. If you feel the blade, it is actually quite dull. Sneak in there with a dremel and a small mounted alox stone, and create a series of scallops on the blade, like a steak knife. Be sure you're working on the leading edge of the blade. Presto, instant 5X performance!

DUDE! Very cool! Now where IS that damm dremel?!? Thanks Swede!

Would the anodizing cause any problems? Reaction with the dye? Harder to grind? ...

Guess I'm not sure, but there is very little anodized chunks at all... Seems the anodized portion came off in a "curl"... had quite a few of those, and I discarded them.

No problem melting anodized aluminum. The anodizing, which is a form of aluminum oxide, floats to the top and can be skimmed easily.