APC Forum

3" Glitter

swervedriver

Ok, this is my best yet, my fifth shell, my forth one blew completely blind. So much for the "veline style prime" on veline blue I guess, I'll have to get some dichromate for the super prime. And my BP dustover didn't light for some reason.

Anyhow, here's my big 3 incher. I was standing a bit to close, still learning. It was still going up at 4 seconds flight time when it burst. I don't know what a big break is, but it filled the sky above me. hope you like it-

150 gram plastic shell

100 lb tensile strapping tape

BP on grass seed burst

1.5g 7/3 flash boost

20g pulverone lift

3" D1 Glitter

Edited by swervedriver

Very nice.

Something that is rarely mentioned, but those hotter primes usually need a layer of green meal over the top. Think of it as priming the prime.

Thanks Mumbles. I put a layer of meal slurry over the hot prime, maybe one mm thick. After more afterthought, the BP prime didn't take fire I guess. Not sure why, the hot prime never had a chance.

ps- they shoot fine out of a star gun test

Not sure why my D1 looks so different from others i've seen, maybe it's my Al at 400 mesh. others I've seen have a longer hangtime

Edited by swervedriver

It could be the charcoal you're using. Using a good form(in terms of lift), will yield a faster burning star and shorter hangtime. I use commercial airfloat for all my stars. It offers decent hangtime. Certain varieties, such as pine, honey locust, etc are supposed to give excellent hangtimes as well.

aaaaaah, that makes sense. good info Mumbles.

on the video above, I listened to it with headphones on with the volume up and I can hear two brief whistle chirps from the comet as it is going up. It's a 1.25" veline system blue comp comet. i was thinking it was just some screwy audio thing that happened with my camera, but after few replays, i see a spark at the exact time of the chirps at 0:05. interesting.

Personally I never use fancy primes to prime my stars, a good layer of green mix75/10/15 + 15 MgAl or Al seems to work just fine on round stars.