APC Forum

Hand Rolling Convolute Tubes with Alcohol

d4j0n

When rolling convolute (parallel) tubes, something to keep in mind is that you must minimize the amount of water in the paper during the rolling process.

Too much water in the paper makes the paper swell. The layers in these tubes will shrink while drying, causing wrinkles.

This method will require preparation of the paper ahead of time by applying glue to the un-rolled paper and letting it dry. When ready to roll, the paper is moistened with an alcohol solution which prevents swelling of the paper.

Don't really feel like copying pictures out of a book. Feel free to add pictures.

1. Prepare a glue solution: 1:1 water:white (pva, elmers glue all is fine) glue by volume.

2. Cut out a piece of paper grocery bag or equivilant weight kraft paper. (in this example we will use a 12"x36" for a 3/4" ID tube)

3. Lay kraft on two sheets of newspaper and lightly coat one side with glue solution, making sure to cover all dry spots. Allow kraft to thoroughly dry and place upside down on another fresh two sheets of newspaper and repeat the process.

4. Prepare an alcohol solution: 1:2 water:denatured alcohol solution

5. For the work surface, roll on a vinyl ribbed pad, with the ribs running perpendicular to the direction of rolling to aid in sealing the turns. You may also cover the dowel in waxed paper. Using a carpenter's square, align the kraft paper and the dowel perpendicularly and weight down the middle of the kraft with a heavy object (can of alcohol solution is handy). Tightly roll the first turn of the dowel and tuck and press the first turn under the dowel.

6. Wet sponge with alcohol solution and lightly damp the paper so it is glossy for a few inches and immediately roll the tube. Repeat until you reach the end of the kraft.

7. Trim and allow to dry as usual. Using a razor blade on the tube while it's still on the bar is convenient.

• 3 weeks later...
It was written in one of my .txt notes, I'm not entirely sure where it came from. If you know, feel free to post.

• 5 weeks later...
I am planningo n going to the hardware store tommorow and was wondering if Isopropyl and Ethanol are interchangble. I don't want to make multiple trips.

For this matter they should be. Remember to adjust the water ratios when using IpOH though.

• 9 months later...
I roll my tubes the same way, but i seem to have issues with them falling apart after they are dry when i take them off the dowel. :huh:

Perhaps you should take your tubes off the dowel to dry?

Ive tried that before, they just immediatly go out of form and flatten out ill try it again tho maybe i should wait until its almost dry and take it of the dowl.

It sounds like the tubes are too wet if they colapse without the doweling. I personally use diluted Elmers woodglue at 60:40 ratio and I put a nice thin coat of this on the paper using a foam brush and the tubes are very sturdy right after I roll them. I only have to worry about making them slightly oval if I handle them. I do use thick paper though, it is the big 3 foot long redish colored roll from homedepot.

I generally use straight elmer's wood glue and only a very small bit...

I had a vid of how i do it... but i don't know where i put it...

I make a zig zag / scribbling pattern for a few inches and then roll very tightly. Only so much glue is used in the segment. Extra is pushed along by the rolling and used for a good deal farther... sometimes there is enough extra glue to finish the tube entirely.

When i finish before i take the tube off the dowel i press down pretty hard on where the last bit of paper ends so that it will stay. Then i very carefully push the tube off the dowel. and carefully set it somewhere to dry with the length of the tube standing up verticle. Sometimes ill use a few rubber bands if the tube keeps trying to unroll.

Then later i go back and put the tube back on the dowel when it is dry and tape off near the ends and use an xacto or pocket knife to cut off any ugly/telescoping ends.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I had a 8 pg paper on rolling tubes, it was awesome sadly i do believe it was lost/ it was made for the elite section of some crap like that/

A somewhat expensive way to solve that problem is to roll a turn-and-a-half of Reynolds non-stick aluminum foil on the dowel before rolling your tubes. You can then leave the dowel inserted in the casing while it dries without fear of problems removing it later. Regular aluminum foil will work too, but the non-stick variety will be easy to remove from the inside of the tube should you feel it necessary. The non-stick foil is also extremely nice for making cut stars on.

• 1 month later...

Ive tried that before, they just immediatly go out of form and flatten out ill try it again tho maybe i should wait until its almost dry and take it of the dowl.

i use straight elmers white glue. i just made my first like 10 minutes ago and i had no problem with unrolling same with the others i just pressed on the last bit of paper to nake it stay.

the way i glue and it seems effective is by putting a good line where the tube is and the pressure from pressing on it makes it just sit their and give a nice thin coat to the paper before it is rolled. you dont have to worrk about paper wetness too much with this method as well and when the line runs low i just put another line down and kep going.

I personally think straight white glue is a waste, you might as well dillute in a bit of water, works well and is easier to spread out, also it doesn't mess as much.

I use 50:50 of goog carpenters glue and wall paper past.

Cheap, sturdy and bucket will last a long time..

As for paper, I use painter cover paper on a roll, it is not Kraft-paper, but it works very well. And its cheap also. If there is any interest, I'll post a few pics.

I personally think straight white glue is a waste, you might as well dillute in a bit of water, works well and is easier to spread out, also it doesn't mess as much.

good point

im deffinatly guna thin my glue on the next tube

i dunno i put the tube i made this morning under a lavalamp bottom that heats the lava lamp by heat from the light. it made the tube dry rock hard and amazingly fast only a few hours.

even though im sure there is still some residual moisture

• 1 month later...
I use some wallpaper glue, found a 10L allready made glue so I think I won't be needing to buy glue for some time, once I have finished rolling, put my tubes with the dowel in the oven at like 50°C (122F) for about 20mins... They become very hard then I leave them on the side so the dowel can reshrink (because it its a wooden one) and take them out.

Isn't a lot of wallpaper glue PVA based now anyways? I know the stuff I saw used recently was, didn't make the wallpaper stick for shit though.