APC Forum

Silicon Powder

elstevo

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in buying some Silicon Powder here in Australia, It's a bit hard finding a supplier because most people won't ship it and im curious as why. Is it the same deal with Pyro Aluminium or is it really dangerous to ship? Also Would Calcium Silicide do the job in fence post prime?

People don't ship it because it has a strong tendency to spark when struck together. Besides of that, it is very combustible. Combining these two factors, it might spontaneously light up during shipping. Calcium silicide is something completely different from silicon, and doesn't work. Substituting the silicon for aluminium powder might do the trick.

Pyro aluminium is usually a restricted item, but not particulary dangerous to ship. The government knows its uses and at the postal office they know it can burn when lit. Where I live you can ship it anyways, as they are not allowed to see or ask what you are shipping. It might be the same in Australia, but I live at the opposite side of the globe (seen from your perspective).

That makes sense, i really like the idea of fence post prime, really want to make some. One day. The problem with pyro grade aluminum is the government thinks its gonna be used for explosives or some rubbish. Makes it very hard to get. Would get confiscated upon suspicion of using it for those things. I guess there just trying to keep us safe.