APC Forum

Sticky assed prime

Richtee

Ok going out on a limb here...

I have used this on several different comp stars, but admittedly none that are known to take a torch to light. It is based on the poly glue effect, brought to my attention by one illustrious member- Swede. The propensity of this glue sticking to ANYTHING made the prime idea pop into my head. But as an alternative to sulfur sensitive compounds, the fine BP COULD possibly be dropped, and perhaps a sawdust added. I have not tested that yet.

The BP is there basically for "roughness"

Sticky Assed Prime

7 KPerc

2 Poly glue

1 Fine dark Al

+ 2 20 to 30- ish mesh BP

Bind with a thin NC/acetone mixture. Use enough to make a medium slurry.

This stuff will STAY on the stars! If it comes off..it's the stars' sturcture that broke, not the prime!

I am VERY interested in any testing you folks could do on this. I'm nowhere near as accomplished as most here, so any improvements or chemical incompatabilities are MOST welcome!

Hmmm how much issue IS there with the small amount of Al and the BP in this?? Not too much I assume, or at least no one has pointed this out to me...

doubt there would be much of an issue, i would just be worried about the potential Cyanide formed from the Poly Glue that was said in Swedes topic about making stars with Poly Glue. Everyone seems to be to afraid of that possible smell of Almonds. Edited by elstevo

doubt there would be much of an issue, i would just be worried about the potential Cyanide formed from the Poly Glue that was said in Swedes topic about making stars with Poly Glue. Everyone seems to be to afraid of that possible smell of Almonds.

Never got a whiff. I have used it for stars and this prime, and sealing time fuse in shells, etc. Apparently an unfounded concern.

How would you prime a vieuw thousant of stars with this prime?

It takes me 10 minutes to coat 10.000 stars with fencepostprime.

How would you prime a vieuw thousant of stars with this prime?

It takes me 10 minutes to coat 10.000 stars with fencepostprime.

LOL... a few thousand? Never made that many! You speak of a roller I suppose... I don't have one as of yet. I suspect you'd need to make a little thiner slurry, and drizzle it over the rolling stars.

Or maybe mix the dry components, and then drizzle in the poly/NC into the roller?

Might not be suited for rolling- Having never used one, I'm not sure...sorry.

Either way - you'd have to clean the bowl out immediately with an acetone damped rag.

Or maybe mix the dry components, and then drizzle in the poly/NC into the roller?

Yanno, upon thinking a bit more, I guess the dry mix is pretty much a weak flash/BP mix. Prolly not a good thing to toss into a roller... but you could add the Al to the slurry, and the perc/BP to the bowl dry I suppose...

To prime a large number of these you'd likely be using a commercial paint sprayer and dusting the BP over the top. Cleanup would be a bitch though. The al is fine enough to pass the nozzle, and the perc would probably have to be milled to be sure.

Probably the best use for this would be priming comets, something like a hard to light silver streamer formula, insted of a red thermite prime as shimizu suggests in some cases. I would not dare put this stuff in my plastic star roller, would probably melt a hole in it :lol:

Probably the best use for this would be priming comets, something like a hard to light silver streamer formula, insted of a red thermite prime as shimizu suggests in some cases. I would not dare put this stuff in my plastic star roller, would probably melt a hole in it :lol:

Depends on the plastic type... polyacrylic? or some such... the stuff they make the bottle for the glue from... you can peel the dried glue off, and it seems impervious to the acetone as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I guess while I'm priming, I also did some of the Hardt's #1 in the SAP...

Since I bound them with NC, there's a little "melting" apparent in the pumped plugs but it should not affect performance.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/100_8214.jpg