APC Forum

Magnesium Illumination Flares

Miech

I recently got these compositions from someone I spoke on msn. I've tested the white and red composition with great succes sofar, and expect the yellow one to be even better from what I've heard.

Name of composition: Magnesium illumination flare

Composition Type: Flare

Creator: unknown, I believe they are from rec.pyrotechnics

The Compositions:

Yellow

30.3% Magnesium

21.0% Potassium Perchlorate

20.0% Barium Nitrate

19.8% Sodium Oxalate

4.0% Asphaltum

5.0% Binder*

White

25.5% Magnesium

34.5% Potassium Nitrate

34.5% Barium Nitrate

5.5% Binder*

Red

29.1% Magnesium

19.4% Potassium Perchlorate

34.0% Strontium Nitrate

14.6% PVC

3.0% Binder*

*Some such binders include: antimony trioxide, antimony pentoxide, boric acid/ sodium borate, ammonium fluoroborate, alumina hydrates, molybdenum oxides, zink borate, polyvinyl bromide, hexabromocyclododecane, pentabromobifenyl oxide, octabromobifenyl oxide, decabromobifenyl oxide etc.

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: In loose state these compositions are some kind of very bright and sensitive flash. Precautions as usual when working with flash powder should be taken therefore. The magnesium must be coated with either linseed oil or another suitable agent to prevent spontaneous combustion due to a nitrate/magnesium reaction. Magnesium is likely to react with nitrates, so keep the composition dry and do never bind with water. Do not mix or let in contact with ammonium compounds, or it will form hygroscopic ammonium nitrate. Do not look into the flame when burning, this may damage your reticula permanently!

Precedure/Preparation:Drie the oxidators in an oven at 110 degrees Celsius for about an hour. Then mix the oxidators, PVC, asphaltum and/or colorants together, for example in a mortar and pestle. Then add the magnesium, and mix using the diaper method (preferred) or another low friction way of mixing. Then bind using a water free solvent, and either press into tubes or make into pumped stars. Depending on solvent you might have to work very quick. Prime very well with a very hot prime composition. I used PVC and acetone to bind these compositions, but parlon, red gum and such probably work as well. Try to avoid closing in by using a not too volatile solvent.

Edit: I found out today these compositions are used by the US Navy. It might say something I guess :P .

Edited by Miech

• 3 years later...

Binder**Some such binders include: antimony trioxide, antimony pentoxide, boric acid/ sodium borate, ammonium fluoroborate, alumina hydrates, molybdenum oxides, zink borate, polyvinyl bromide, hexabromocyclododecane, pentabromobifenyl oxide, octabromobifenyl oxide, decabromobifenyl oxide etc

Then bind using a water free solvent, and either press into tubes or make into pumped stars. Depending on solvent you might have to work very quick. Prime very well with a very hot prime composition. I used PVC and acetone to bind these compositions, but parlon, red gum and such probably work as well. Try to avoid closing in by using a not too volatile solvent.Edit: I found out today these compositions are used by the US Navy. It might say something I guess :P .

• 2 months later...
You can not make white light with MgAl - I have tested. You have to use pure magnesium. Edited by Potassiumchlorate

• 7 years later...

Yes, that is what you need but I would advice you to add say +2 % of linseed oil to your composition to get a better shelf life.