APC Forum

Alien in Wine

psymon

Have a look at this. I had a glass of red wine with the wife. Poured it out, drank the wine very nice. Was about to pour another and found this thing literally growing in my wine glass. I hear its tartaric acid but blimey!

post-75-1226866280_thumb.jpg

post-75-1226866312_thumb.jpg

post-75-1226866349_thumb.jpg

Have a look at this. I had a glass of red wine with the wife. Poured it out, drank the wine very nice. Was about to pour another and found this thing literally growing in my wine glass. I hear its tartaric acid but blimey!

Looks like the Andromeda Strain to me! Arrrggh!

Been drinking wine a while and never seen this before. So strange, nothing there to start off with and 5 mins after finishing the wine it was there. There wasn't any sort of funny taste to the wine. In fact it was quite a nice bottle. Thing is we never saw it growing. Just looked back at the glass and it was there. It broke up quite easily when you touched it and felt like wet saturated solution with salt in it.

Anyway - hope to be getting back into pyro soon. Just sorting out my garage after a house move. Made a desk at the back. Added a strip light and an extra socket. All my tools are slowly being found...

• 7 months later...

I know this thread has been dead forever but in the midst of some research I discovered what this is.

"Tartaric acid may be most immediately recognizable to wine drinkers as the source of "wine diamonds", the small potassium bitartrate crystals that sometimes form spontaneously on the cork. These "tartrates" are harmless, despite sometimes being mistaken for broken glass, and are prevented in many wines through cold stabilization. The tartrates that remain on the inside of aging barrels were at one time a major industrial source of potassium bitartrate."

And now you know, no need to thank me :).