APC Forum

help with micro stars

pyroman321

Hi i just made my first batch of crackling micro stars i did everything pyroguide.com told me to do and this is my results all they do is fizzle pop a bit and sometimes they will go bang verry loudly

some people have told me its my mg/al i now think so to the mg/al i have i think it is 90- 100 mesh im not sure they did not tell me i can ask anytime tho i thought id try some mg/al

fp out i i did the 50/50 ratio kno3 mg/al it does not even work in flash powder it just goes shhhhhherrr slower than fast bp need help please

Are they primed? Because they need to be primed to properly function I have noticed. Otherwise they give the fizzle and such that you mentioned. It's a dual stage reaction with one stage being gaseous. I had always figured that unless the whole surface was lit, it would have trouble lighting instantly for the desired snap. It could also be poor mixing.

You may also want to find other sources than pyroguide. I find a disturbing amount of incorrect information there.

I agree with mumbles about pyroguide - wikipedia style pyro is a *very* bad idea. At least on a forum you can get consensus.

What % of NC did you use with the stars? What TYPE of NC? Ping pong balls, single/double base powder, pure NC, aircraft dope? The NC is a big player in dragon egg comps. You want to use 10-15% solution I believe. None of that 5% crap.