APC Forum

How to make a serpent

weknowpyro

This post is on how to make a serpent. Firstly a serpent is a fountain that is shot up into the air from a mortar to give an awe inspiring effect.

Firstly roll a tube(im using 1/2" id for my tube). Cut off two pieces off dowel and drill a nozzle in one of the pieces of dowel (I'm using a 3.5mm nozzle).

Next make your Fountain mix,i'm using a simple mix of 8 parts bp and 2 parts AL powder.

Next thing to do is to fill the tube with the fountain mix. Once done you then can ram it very gently.

Once you have completed this you can then put in the nozzle and add fuse. I ussally use about 2cm of visco to set it off. Put it into the mortar, for this fountain i am using about 6g of lift to get good height.

Picture of what it looks like when finished.

post-18-1145824407_thumb.jpg

This fuel you use for the serpent makes a lot of gases and can make this serpent into a rocket, Isn't it dangerous if the serpent will ignite and fly like a rocket towards the ground?

They can do as i think mumbles said in 'aerial fountains' but in mine i do not core it and on mine it does not produce enough thrust to rocket off.

Hello ever heard of end-burning rockets. Even if there is no core thrust is produced. If your hole is crooked enough or if there is a huge crack the thrust could be let out at an angle that will cause it to veer off course. You said 8 parts BP (milled or green mixed) because if it's milled. It could produce a lot of gasses and combined with the heat of the burning Al you could be making some serious pressure. Why don't you take one of these inserts and light it on the ground without burying it or anything while it's lying on it's side to see how much thrust it really has. Not to knock on you or anything its a really nice device, but I'm a little worried about the safety aspects. And one more thing.6g of lift for a 1/2" insert? Thats obnoxiously high.

True about the 6grams but my lift is poor as i do not press it. Yes it could rocket off but unless u can only get the serpent about 5 meters in the air i think u will be pretty safe because i have never had one of these flip when i have used them,so its unlikely to do it. I think with the serpent you take the same risk as if you were setting off a rocket.

Cheers for that. Behonest everyone has there own ideas i put this down purerly to follow as a guide line not to be followed like a rule,take your time making it and do it your own way.

I understand what you are saying. Infact I have yet to follow a tutorial right down to every little detail. I always put my own spin on things. I'm just trying to save you some chems thats all.