APC Forum

Suppliers for Ball Mill (UK)

JS92

No a whole ball mill, but I need a cheap supplier of bearings and belts, but bearings mainly!

Thanks

Just for information, you don't want to use the bearings as media do you?

I would have a look at a scrap yard ;)

Edited by oskarchem

Thanks...no gonna use them for their intended use....I mean those things that allow the roller to spin if any confusion has occured :S

Anyway, i have come across another needed part: Pulleys, idealy, one that is really small, and the other that is about 5 times bigger, my shaft diameter is 14mm

Guys I need help: I cant find any junk yards are is it now against the law to just dump appliances atc in a junk yard, and the incinerator down the road...well I dont think that they will let me jump in the 10 metre deep skip and pull somit out! So junk yards/scrap yards are out of window!

I have seen some ideal pieces but for 4 bearings plus mounting brackets, shafts x2, pulleys x2, and a belt (Think thats everything) comes to about £50!!! ¬_¬ I aint paying that much for them pieces, so I was wondering where there was a place that sells these parts cheaply, website preferably as the prices are roughly 20% cheaper than instore!!! Please help me! Ebay has not much luck! Its just pulleys for cars that wont fit etc, unless im typing the wrong thing into the seach bar, then....but

Thanks for looking if you do :]

Try a bearing and drives shop. Look in the phone book, possibly under industrial suppliers but there ought to be an entry under bearings. That price you found probably isn't too outrageous. Ball bearing pillow blocks (the cast piece with the bearing mounted in it) usually run about $10-15 each, and ground rod (the shafts) isn't free either. That's why so many of us scrounge. There exist a cheap version of pillow blocks, that are made from bent steel bar, but they're usually only a couple bucks cheaper than the beefy ones.

Have you tried appliance shops? People who hire out to haul away junk?

For pulleys, the bearing/drives shops will absolutely have those. Or if you have access to a wood lathe, you could make them yourself out of laminated (stacked and glued) MDF or particle board. Other places that would have pulleys and such could be hardware stores, farm suppliers.

Ways to save money: Try alternatives for parts like the shafts, look at pipe, look at buying some surplus/salvage metal rod (look up salvage yards). See if there isn't an industrial salvage yard somewhere nearby, I can't imagine there isn't one if there's any kind of industry where you live. Also, instead of using 2 sets of pillow blocks/shafts, for the idle roller you could use a conveyor roller, or little wheels of some sort (like casters but without the swiveling). This method isn't as good or versatile as using a second shaft, however.

Sometimes if you want to do it right you've gotta spend the dosh. Fifty quid really isn't that bad for most everything you need to build a good solid ball mill. And there ARE reasonably cheap motors on ebay uk - I've looked, they are there.

Edited by tentacles

Pipe clamp:

http://www.indiamart.com/shriguruengg/pcat-gifs/products-small/pipe-clamp.jpg

+

Inline Skate bearing:

http://www.lb-bearings.com/admin/uploadpic/2008721931618280.jpg

=

Improvised pillow block bearing assembly:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50188304/Pillow_Block_Bearing.jpg

Or, you can also just press the bearings into a small blocks of wood on either end of the shafts. You will need shaft collars or an equivalent jerry rig to keep the shafts from sliding out of the bearings.

Shaft Collar:

http://www.equipment-concepts.com/Image9.jpg

Try a bearing and drives shop. Look in the phone book, possibly under industrial suppliers but there ought to be an entry under bearings. That price you found probably isn't too outrageous. Ball bearing pillow blocks (the cast piece with the bearing mounted in it) usually run about $10-15 each, and ground rod (the shafts) isn't free either. That's why so many of us scrounge. There exist a cheap version of pillow blocks, that are made from bent steel bar, but they're usually only a couple bucks cheaper than the beefy ones.

Have you tried appliance shops? People who hire out to haul away junk?

For pulleys, the bearing/drives shops will absolutely have those. Or if you have access to a wood lathe, you could make them yourself out of laminated (stacked and glued) MDF or particle board. Other places that would have pulleys and such could be hardware stores, farm suppliers.

Ways to save money: Try alternatives for parts like the shafts, look at pipe, look at buying some surplus/salvage metal rod (look up salvage yards). See if there isn't an industrial salvage yard somewhere nearby, I can't imagine there isn't one if there's any kind of industry where you live. Also, instead of using 2 sets of pillow blocks/shafts, for the idle roller you could use a conveyor roller, or little wheels of some sort (like casters but without the swiveling). This method isn't as good or versatile as using a second shaft, however.

Sometimes if you want to do it right you've gotta spend the dosh. Fifty quid really isn't that bad for most everything you need to build a good solid ball mill. And there ARE reasonably cheap motors on ebay uk - I've looked, they are there.

Thanks for that beasty reply :]

Right, I have a skateboard truck with wheels on, so that could be a good substitute roller until I have enough money to fix a second roller!

Bearings: Er, there are some Ill just keep looking

Pulleys: Same as above

Er, what else, belt same place really, oh and the motor! got it today but it was delivered to my dads and im at my mums til Fri :(

But thats gives me time to look about :] thanks for the help

(UK people are still welcome to post a link to a company selling said^ parts :])

Pipe clamp:

http://www.indiamart.com/shriguruengg/pcat.../pipe-clamp.jpg

+

Inline Skate bearing:

http://www.lb-bearings.com/admin/uploadpic...21931618280.jpg

=

Improvised pillow block bearing assembly:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimag...ock_Bearing.jpg

Or, you can also just press the bearings into a small blocks of wood on either end of the shafts. You will need shaft collars or an equivalent jerry rig to keep the shafts from sliding out of the bearings.

Shaft Collar:

http://www.equipment-concepts.com/Image9.jpg

Holy crud!!!! kudos to you!!! I will defo look into that!!!! wow!

So inline skateboard bearings + Pipe Clamp

or

Normal Bearing fitted nicely into a block o' wood !!!! woot thanks!!! I wish they had a rep thingy on this forum!!

I have used both methods Frank has shared with good results.

I am currently using the bearings fitted in wood. It is easy to drill a hole big enough for your shaft to run through then drill a countersink for your bearing to sit on, works like a charm.

Good luck!

~Milky~

Electric and I (especially not mains voltage) don't do so well together, so I think that I'll have to probably fork out for a mill at some point. All this seems a tad above me. :)

here is a great suplier of lots of types of bearings everything you'll need i bought my bearings of here for my ball mill tha handles 1kg bp no trouble they are a from the us and delivery is quick vist www.vxb.com

kcn: There's no reason you'd have to wire anything personally. You can often times get a motor already wired to a plug, and that's really the only wiring needed. So many tell us that building a mill sounds too difficult, then try it and realize it's not so tough. A few pillow blocks, some shafting, pulleys, motor and a sheet of plywood and a 2x4 is all you actually need. It's absurdly simple.

Maybe some people should make a ball mill and then sell it to those who either cant, or simply CBA, or even those who are scared they will make a really naff one!

www.manchester minerals in the UK sell ready made rock tumblers to 6 kilos so just buy one it's so much easier to get one than to build one. Look at the 700g ot the 1400g tumbler initially. Get ceramic balls from Inoxia and lead balls from cooperman435. If you can afford it get a mill that has a rubber drum they are so much quieter.

I guess this needs to be said, since someone *always* mentions rock tumblers when the subject of ball mills comes up. ROCK TUMBLERS ARE NOT BALL MILLS!!!

They turn at a slower RPM that is designed to rub the rocks against each other, using the grit charge, to WEAR AWAY the rock. If using lead media, you will experience excessive wear and horrible efficiency (20-24hr run times for good powder).

Anyone who started out using a rock tumbler and then later built a proper mill (myself included) will tell you that it was waste of money.

..And let it be said that building a proper mill once will save you from doing it TWICE. I know there are many here who have done it twice - whether it be buying a tumbler or building a shitty mill first. Build a good mill from the get go, enjoy good BP and save us the trouble of trying to troubleshoot shitty powder, please.

• 3 weeks later...
MODERATOR EDIT: OK, since you obviously don't follow rules, you're warned AND suspended for 2 weeks. Take your advertising SPAM elsewhere.