APC Forum

shed material

Aimlesspayload

I'm looking to buy a shed so that I don't burn down my house should something go wrong. It seems that wooden sheds are about twice the price of metal ones. What is your shed made of, and what is your opinion of having a metal shed? Is there a significant safety reason to go with wood, like lighting or static?

-thanks in advance. (btw nothing in the forum search was similar)

I'm looking to buy a shed so that I don't burn down my house should something go wrong. It seems that wooden sheds are about twice the price of metal ones. What is your shed made of, and what is your opinion of having a metal shed? Is there a significant safety reason to go with wood, like lighting or static?

-thanks in advance. (btw nothing in the forum search was similar)

As far as static goes, I'd think metal better. Couple good ground rods attached to the shed, and anything metal/conductive in contact with the walls would be kept pretty much drained of any static charges. And metal does not burn. Well, easily anyway ;{)

But if you buy a metal shed, be sure to put it in a place, where it's in the shade for the whole day. Because if it would be in the sun at a certain period of the day, it would become a furnace.

But if ever you pyro things light up in a metal shed, the consequence could be drastic.

But if you buy a metal shed, be sure to put it in a place, where it's in the shade for the whole day. Because if it would be in the sun at a certain period of the day, it would become a furnace.

Paint it silver ;{)

But if ever you pyro things light up in a metal shed, the consequence could be drastic.

And wood would help this out? Heh... I meant a small boo-boo might be forgiven in a metal environment moreso than wood. A BIG boo-boo? Well, guess it matters a LITTLE but...

I've got a metal "shed" that is 40' X 50'... it's an aircraft hangar. The space it provides is glorious. It is also uninhabitable in the high summer and winter.

Texas summers are typically 100 f. and the measured temp in my hangar, even with all doors open, is 120 degrees. Just brutal. In the winter, it's cold, clammy, and water condenses on the cieling and falls onto my machine tools like rain. I have been fighting a losing battle with rust since day 1.

If you can afford it, I'd go with the wooden building.

As for safety, if a metal shed "lit up", I don't think it'd be worse than wood.

Ah, yes, but my theory is that the wood would make less of an obstacle for the gasses to get out, it would probably blow up, but with less energy than the metal one, no?

As far as static goes, I'd think metal better. Couple good ground rods attached to the shed, and anything metal/conductive in contact with the walls would be kept pretty much drained of any static charges. And metal does not burn. Well, easily anyway ;{)

Remember though, to avoid problems with static electricity you need to either ground everything and stay grounded untill you're done working, or ground nothing, the point is simply to prevent an electric arc.

As far as Metal versus Wood goes I don't think it matters much, Wood is likely to splinter and Metal's likely to tear, both becoming shrapnel, thin sheet Metal might be a little safer then plywood but I don't know for sure, if I were building it though I would go with walls of sand-filled cinder block and a thin sheet metal roof.

If I were to make a pyro building it would be wash down capable work area with a separate storage area for supplies such as paper, string, tape and etc. So I would say painted block walls. Yes that would include wash down duty electrical as well including lights.

Lastly when I get done milling anything or am working with anything really sensitive my "canary in a coal mine" is a piece of fresh teflon pipe sealant tape. Any static build up will really show it's presence with this stuff dangling near. Just a simple check compared to none at all!

What about lighting and heating? I'm assuming I really can't heat the shed. Are fluorescent lights fine? I'm probably being overly cautious...

It will be a massive waste of energy to heat your shed, large spaces and no insulation = :(

Fluros are your best bet, colder that 100w traditional bulbs.

Heating would be hydronic in it's own room or building, the walls would be covered on the outside with foam insulation and then sided. I would then check into the explosion proof fixtures for the incandesant bulbs but use the new fluorescent energy effiecient bulbs.

I too am in the process of thinking through shed designs. With as cold as the winters get here I am thinking I may simply make a shed just large enough to store my chemicals and finished compositions in bulk, as well as room to weigh and mix. I would then bring just what I need indoors when working on a new device.

My concerns in how the shed is built are mostly with condensation in mind. I must find a way that my breath will not destroy my compositions, as well as the morning fog we get here. I figure I can seal the fog out fairly easily but my breath is another story. Any thoughts?

I too am in the process of thinking through shed designs. With as cold as the winters get here I am thinking I may simply make a shed just large enough to store my chemicals and finished compositions in bulk, as well as room to weigh and mix. I would then bring just what I need indoors when working on a new device.

My concerns in how the shed is built are mostly with condensation in mind. I must find a way that my breath will not destroy my compositions, as well as the morning fog we get here. I figure I can seal the fog out fairly easily but my breath is another story. Any thoughts?

Any small amount of heat while in there will carry the moisture outside. Perhaps one of those self-contained electric convection units..oil filled radiator looking things?

Any small amount of heat while in there will carry the moisture outside. Perhaps one of those self-contained electric convection units..oil filled radiator looking things?

Like a tiny space heater? I'll do some poking around. I suppose building the shed is the important thing for now, since winter is coming on quite soon.

I just did an ebay search:

Oil Space Heater

That does look promising. I suppose with one of those in a small shed it could even get the heat up to a reasonable working temperature after 15 minutes or so of running on high. I wonder about the energy consumption of it running on low 24/7...

Edited by NightHawkInLight

As to energy consumption......

Check the specs of the heater. It should tell you the wattage for each setting. I suspect that "Low" will be roughly 500 watts, "Medium" 750 or 1000 watts, and "High" will be 1500 watts.

That would be equivalent to 5, 7.5 (or 10), or 15, one-hundred-watt light bulbs.

A 100-watt light bulb is approximately 1 amp. Leaving it on for one hour, uses one amp-hour of electricity.

Your electric rates are probably expressed on your bill as kilowatt-hours. So leaving one bulb on for ten hours uses one kilowatt-hour.

I'll leave the rest of the math up to you. ;)

Thanks Sidewinder. The heater states to be 400w, though it does not say what setting that is on. That seems to be a low amount of power to be the high setting, perhaps they're using some shady advertising to make it look energy efficient. Either way I'll have to check how much I'm paying per KwHr. Thanks

Awesome,thanks for the replies. I guess I can actually heat it; I hadn't thought of that type of heater. Btw, nighthawkinday, I had actually been using your tutorials before seeing you in this forum. Thanks, they help alot. Also is anyone associated with the crackerjacks culb and go to the dead cow shoot in NY? I couldn't go at the last second.