APC Forum

Making Bp rockets with Ti

The-T

Im going to make some Bp rockets with some Ti mixed into the Bp. Now I know ramming most compositions contianing metal is a bad idea, so I should be pressing these? The reason im asking is because I do not have a hydraulic press.

Thanks

Edited by The-T

If you already know you should press them you should not ask stupid questions, isn't it? Titanium sparks easely when struck together.

Miech, be nice.

What a lot of people do is to add the Ti containing comp on top of the spindle as the delay. I've seen people ram Ti containing comps before with no issue, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I would go with what Mumbles suggested. Only use the Ti containing comp as the delay.... Not to mention it won't tear up your spindle that way. Ti tends to scratch up aluminum spindles since the Al is softer then your Ti flakes.

I had a feeling someone was going to yell at me. :D

For now ill just press it in with my delay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by The-T

I had a feeling someone was going to yell at me. :D

For now ill just press it in with my delay.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Other than blatantly stupid/KEWL posts in this forum, you should NOT have that feeling. Ahem.

Its best to use spherical Ti if you absolutely need/want to ram all the fuel with it in there. Its a lot less likely to cause problems do to its beadyness. If thats even a word. But if you use Ti in the last increment on the spindle, you will get a Ti tail the whole time, but you only use one increment. Then if you want the delay to be the same, than obviously you need some in it also.

• 2 months later...
I had someone tell me that is was ok and have done it in the smaller rocket sizes. I have personally used Ti in the SBR to 4oz size with no issues. I have not however looked really closely at the spindles to see if they are wearing unusually from this. I will keep an eye on them.

Just because it's worked fine up to now, doesn't mean that it always will. That is mainly what we were advising against. It may not ignite now, or the next time, but it puts an unneccesary risk in making rockets.