APC Forum

I lost a rocket too

Arqwat

It happens to the best of us.

I lost a rocket last weekend too . .

Too long of a delay - believe it was operator error.

Came in ballistic with an ugly puff of dust.

Think I may have used the wrong delay.

My Sam Adams Rocket (AKA BUG - Butt Ugly Green) made a total of 9 flights.

Last flight on APCP (Ammonium Perchlorate Composit Propellant).

The last one was beautiful (over 800 ft.). . . The landing sucked !

Flew 2 other rockets successfully (one with an electronic recovery timer).

See the attached pdf for a few pics of the launch . . I'm still "little beans here".

My heaviest rocket is a 5 pounder.

Cheers

oburg.pdf

You weren't at a high powered rocketry shoot in Kansas about a month ago were you?

No - I'm an East Coaster.

I'd love to check out some of the Mid West launches though.

Mid West = More & bigger wide open spaces = Bigger rockets & higher flights !

Yah, it was my first time going to one. I just went to watch, Im not into high powered rocketry like that. I look at what it cost to do that, compared to pyro, and its just not worth it in my opinion. Some of the motor refills cost anywhere from $20-100. The rockets are 2-4 times that if you keep it simple. I will take some rockets out next time to shoot, small little crappy rockets and cram a 4oz whistle engine in them. I think that will get some kicks out of those guys. They have some really neat motors that pour off black smoke and have lots of metal sparks spraying out, looks like what might be ferroti, not quite white, but more bright than I would expect from Fe. If I could make a smaller, cheaper version, it would be sweet. Even theirs dont burn for maybe a second or so, just not long enough for the awesome effect. The place they shot from was literally some farmers plowded field with ample room to shoot about anything.

Actually, like any hobby, you can sink as much money into it as you want.

It doesn't have to be that expensive.

I scratch build all of my rockets & parts out of cheap or scrounged material.

True - commercial motor loads can get expensive.

I do a lot more sugar & Estes loads than the APCP's (this holds the cost down).

& hey - My rockets don't blow up or make pretty colors . . but . .

I get my rockets back (usually) after the flight !! . . :-)

Cheers

Edited by Arqwat

Yah, it was my first time going to one.

They have some really neat motors that pour off black smoke and have lots of metal sparks spraying out, looks like what might be ferroti, not quite white, but more bright than I would expect from Fe. If I could make a smaller, cheaper version, it would be sweet.

KLOUDBUSTERS? If so you are a lucky dude.

It's just sponge Ti. FeTi is too darn expensive and hard to come by.

KLOUDBUSTERS? If so you are a lucky dude.

It's just sponge Ti. FeTi is too darn expensive and hard to come by.

lol, :D Ya it was Kloudbusters. It was something like a 2 hours drive for me, maybe less. I went for one day, got burnt to hell by the sun, went home made some whistle and pressed some engines and was going to go back on experimental day and shoot some in crappy rockets but didn't get around to it and rather stayed home. I will next year though. I have a ton of videos from it somewhere, with pics of about everyones rockets. Videos are day light and dont really show much more than take offs.

They have some pretty blue, green, red engines that a few people run. They have really fine pencil flames though.