APC Forum

Hello, Im a newb.

Imanewb

Hello, I am new to the forums and the world of pyrotechnics, and I came across this website in hopes of clearing the fog that becomes law issues and injury. A side to note to the admin and mods of this forum, I plan at the moment to keep this account temporary, though that is subject to change, I will inform you of my departure and you may delete it.

I don't want to overwhelm anyone with questions, so I'll start with a story. (Yay, story time :huh: )

I am an airsofter. Not a backyard airsofter, but patron of the sport. I have made a simple Potassium Nitrate and Sucrose, smoke bomb with enjoyable results. I have this insane will to make and SELL, smoke bombs and possibly other pyrotechnics effects. I have researched a BATF license, but that is still shady in my mind. Please, any help, tips, anything would be greatly appreciated. And don't worry, I understand there is a great deal of complexity to this situation, I'll just have to try and absorb as much as possible.

Again, Thanks guys,

The Newb

Edit: By the way, if this is in the wrong section, mods, feel free to move.

Edited by Imanewb

The information you seek, with respect to exact laws and so forth, won't be found here. This Forum is geared towards the amateur and hobby user. We have information that you will find useful, but nowhere near the amount you will need.

I can tell you this much, though. In order to SELL smoke bombs and other pyrotechnics, the sheer number of hoops you'll have to jump through will be staggering. Everything you make will considered "Class B" material, which will require any purchaser to hold the proper type of BATF license. Making items to sell to the general public (Class C) will require an even bigger set of hoops, because your devices will have to be tested and certified and a whole lot more.

Making pyrotechnic items for strictly personal use does not, in itself, require any Federal permit. But they have to be used within (I think) 24 hours of manufacture, or you are required to STORE it in either a Federally-permitted magazine, -OR- a magazine that WOULD PASS INSPECTION for the type of magazine required. It's complicated, and there are a LOT of potential "gotcha's".

For starters, bookmark this site: http://www.legalpyro.com

Then study it in detail. It should let you know the path to take in order to do what you want.

Hope that helped.

Welcome! One potential option would be to perfect the design, then sell a "kit" with detailed instructions. Maybe, just maybe, it would pass inspection federally. Then, the primary issue would be to understand thoroughly the shipping regulations for oxidizers like potassium nitrate. You could leave the fuel (sugar) to the user. One of the cool aspects of this would be in perfecting the housing (reloadable) and the ignition (no one wants to light a fuse; look at the pull-string/booby trap fuse ignitor method in the tutorial section.)

Other big issue - liability. You might want to set up an LLC or some other corporation, which will HELP (but not guarantee) that your private assets are immune to siezure in a lawsuit. I am assuming you are in the USA... other countries will have wildly varying laws.

Good luck, take your time and do your research. Remember, if you make it for yourself, then it is vastly simplified and not an illegal thing. (smoke bombs).

Welcome! One potential option would be to perfect the design, then sell a "kit" with detailed instructions. Maybe, just maybe, it would pass inspection federally. Then, the primary issue would be to understand thoroughly the shipping regulations for oxidizers like potassium nitrate. You could leave the fuel (sugar) to the user. One of the cool aspects of this would be in perfecting the housing (reloadable) and the ignition (no one wants to light a fuse; look at the pull-string/booby trap fuse ignitor method in the tutorial section.)

Other big issue - liability. You might want to set up an LLC or some other corporation, which will HELP (but not guarantee) that your private assets are immune to siezure in a lawsuit. I am assuming you are in the USA... other countries will have wildly varying laws.

Good luck, take your time and do your research. Remember, if you make it for yourself, then it is vastly simplified and not an illegal thing. (smoke bombs).

Thank you both for your input. It may be something for the future, but right now I'll have to keep it to myself. That's exactly what I was looking for. The admin of mod may delete my account as of now. Again, I appreciate the responses, and you guys keep doing what you love. :lol:

Oh, to the admin of this forum, this site was very well done. Kudos ;)

Hey, we're not radioactive! Not leprous either. You act as if posting here could result in a visit from guys with ski masks. 98% of us strive very hard to stay legal, and the simple truth is, if you make it for yourself, and don't store completed fireworks outside of an approved magazine, you are fine.

Good luck in your venture.