APC Forum

Essential literature

Aimlesspayload

Which books do you wish had known about when you were starting? Nothing specific in mind. Name of book and author would be appreciated. Already own "introductory practical pyrotechnics - Tom Perigrin". I'm sure other beginners will appreciate a list of lit as well.

-Thanks in advance! p.s, did a search, got nothing...

Edited by Aimlesspayload

Which books do you wish had known about when you were starting? Nothing specific in mind. Name of book and author would be appreciated. Already own "introductory practical pyrotechnics - Tom Perigrin". I'm sure other beginners will appreciate a list of lit as well.

-Thanks in advance! p.s, did a search, got nothing...

I am a rookie also but I got all of the American Fire News isssues, a great resource for beginners.

I would also recommend some sort of ball milling tutorial such as this.

Ball Milling Theory & Practice for the Amateur Pyrotechnician by Lloyd Sponenburgh

Also you should get a subscription to Passfire.com, tons of information on that site.

Takeo Shimizu - Fireworks, the Art, Science and Technique

It's really one of my favorite books, although I still need to get a printed version.

MOD EDIT: We do not condone piracy of any sort. Pyrotechnics literature especially, since the production runs are very small and there's almost no profit for the author. And anyone providing any link to pirated material will be given a vacation to reflect on their stupidity.

And shame on you, Meich.

Edited by TheSidewinder

I would also like to suggest Chemistry of pyrotechnics and explosives....it is known in the pyro community as COPAE. Also another very good one is Ellern's military and civilian pyrotechnics. Tom peregrins book intro to practical pyro is good too. Shimizu's book is great but a little intense in the detail. The different AFN issues are good too. There is always passfire.com which is a subscription based website. I wish i still had all of my books from the info pool back in the day and i could give you a huge list of pyro related books. Everyone pretty much commented on all the ones I talked about except for COPAE and ellern's book which are both very good books. If you look around on the internet you can find e-books or webpages hosting COPAE and ellerns and a bunch other. Do some research on google or something and they are easy to find along with a bunch of other books Edited by FrKoNaLeaSh1010

It depends a lot on what you're interested in.

Passfire, as has already been mentioned is an excellent resource. Besides the great tutorials, you have essentially limitless access to pick the brains of some of the best pyros in the world.

Lancaster and Shimizu are also excellent books.

If you are interested in ball shells, I'd suggest Shimizu's book.

If you're interested in more set pieces and ground displays, I'd suggest Lancasters book, or the Westech firework manual by Degn.

If you're interested in canister shells, there is no better resource than Pyrotechnica IX and XI. They contain by far the best description of manufacture of them in the english language.

Hardt is another excellent book, but a bit pricy, and not entirely about fireworks.

I really like all the best of AFN books, there are many interesting little tips and tricks in there.

I by far read Shimizu and the Pyrotechnica articles the most. The best of AFN are up there as well.

• Like 1

And shame on you, Meich.
Hehe, I knew that was gonna come :P . Pyrotechnic books are just not available in Holland, and there are only very few shops who send stuff to here since Skylighter stopped shipping international. I didn't see FAST in the assortment of international shipping companies yet, so I wasn't able to get it legally.

Try Amazon, or some other large book seller. Many will have the more popular books like Shimizu and Lancaster, and should ship overseas. Skylighter isn't the only source around.