APC Forum

Strontium ___ salt?

TYRONEEZEKIEL

Today I dissolved, filtered, and recrystallized a road flare to extract strontium salts.

I cant tell what salt exactly it is. I mixed some with sorbitol,and it burned, so I know it is an oxidizer of some sort.

What further tests could I do to determine the composition?

Well, you could assume it's the nitrate, because that is what it is.

Alternatively, an ICP instrument will give nitrogen peaks. Addition with silver or lead nitrates will give no precipitate. Placement on an FTIR apparatus with a diamond ATR crystal will give no peaks in the 600 wavenumber range.

I think the first option is of course the best one. Though it may indeed be contaminated with strontium chloride, so the silver or lead test is actually a useful one.

OK.. Thanks, Also,, I attempted to purify, and some of the resultant was orange, and the rest was white.

any more ideas?

It is usually strontium nitrate in road flares mixed with saw dust and other fuels. Strontium nitrate should be a white powder not orange. I would dissolve it in water and filter it and that should get out the saw dust and any insoluable additives but I dont know how to purify it completely as I dont know what else is in there with it.

It is usually strontium nitrate in road flares mixed with saw dust and other fuels. Strontium nitrate should be a white powder not orange. I would dissolve it in water and filter it and that should get out the saw dust and any insoluable additives but I dont know how to purify it completely as I dont know what else is in there with it.

I had a list of several flare comps..Hmm..anyway, sulfur is another major component, and usually some K nitrate too. Which, of course will show up in your "purified" strontium nitrate. Orange?? no clue there-

Edited by Richtee

ok, turns out it is absolutely the nitrate. I made magnesium flash with it, and it worked great. although I played around with the ratios, and I was able to slow it down to a very bright "thrusty" mixture.

I wonder If I could make a rocket fuel out of it? Too much pressure?

anyway, the reactivity is fine, and the red flame is very prominent. So I may try again with some pyrex glassware, and get some of my pan junk out of it.

Thanks yall!

Absolutely you can make it into a rocket fuel. Google "red magnalium chuffer" in the Google Groups interface to USENET.

Awesome! Thanks man.. I will look into that!