APC Forum

Should I quit my job?

deadman

Hello everyone. It has been quite a while since I have been on APC. I know very sad. I have been in commission sales ever since I graduated highschool "Class of '07 baby!". I do very well at it. Currently I am on track to making 50,000 dollars a year. Not bad for 1 year out of high school. Although I spend 5 days a week 11 hour shifts there. So on my days off I'm not up for much of anything but enjoying the time with my fiancee. That is the only reason I go to work afterall anyways right? Well I've wanted to run my own company since I was in high school and for a short amount of time did. I know have that opportunity to run my company and have at this moment invested approxamitley 3000 dollars in it. It is costing me 600 dollars a month to keep it going, but I am not doing ANYTHING with it. I have no time. I'm always working for my boss. I gave my two week notice yesterday and the district manager came in to talk me out of it today. Talked about how in October, my store is being split up and they need a number 2 guy to help run a store closer to my house. Also this is a store that typically runs better numbers = more money for me. And the of course, "I am on track to being the company's youngest store manager ever." Mmmmm... some of that corporate carrot. So I am stuck do I quit or stay. What's the input guys. Keep all negative comments to PM's please.

Other than that how is the board?

If I were you I'd stick around and at least give the dealership closer to your house a shot. If from there it still isn't working out, or you still don't have the will to keep going at it, then you can decided to pursue other ventures. It may also be useful to try to get your business up and going, at least self supportive, first before moving onto it full time. Maybe I don't like to take big risks, but I always like to know that I can at least support myself and in your case fiance, before moving on. She may not be happy when you have to move into a shithole aparment with rats and crying babies everywhere. Maybe thats an over exageration, but have you at least discussed this with her?

Board is good. We just upgraded the software not too long ago, and I am loving it.

If you own your own house outright then fewer worries, otherwise in the UK at least, mortgage lenders much prefer you to have a full time steady job. Go for a mortgage and it's three months payslips from your employer or three years audited accounts if you are self employed. (oh currently you need a 30 - 50% deposit too!)

Have you really talked this through wth your fiancée? What makes you think that being self employed will take less hours - usualy it takes MORE, and you can never really leave it because your life as you know it depends on it.

Not bad for 1 year out of high school.

Stick out the job a while. You have 10 years to get "smart" and build capital. THEN make a killing :{)

I would follow the Dave Ramsey plan of living on less than you make, getting totally out of debt except the house if you have one and a three to six month savings of your income for emergencies.

Then you will be in the drivers seat going forward in your life and not always trying to just survive.

Good luck with the decision and your future business.

http://www.daveramsey.com/

I gave the above link so some may check it out.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I definitley don't want to put her and I into a place like that. I do have enough funds to keep us supported through the next 3 months. She also has her job that is enough to cover the majority of expenses on it's own. I have to admit we have spent a lot of money since I started selling. We already have paid off one of the vehicles and the other one is on track to be paid off in 2 more years.

I am sure I will be giving it more of my time. I just feel as if I'll be the "what if" guy standing in the back corner resenting my boss for something he never did to me. I appreciate all of your input, but doesn't anybody want me to throw caution to the wind! Haha.

I enjoy the board as well, I have to say I miss the original color scheme, but this dark blue skin isn't half bad, very similiar to my site actually.

, but doesn't anybody want me to throw caution to the wind! Haha.

I do. In 10 years. Yer young and making money. Do that and save. Bad times now and you're blessed. Take advantage and reap the bennies later.

Signed a 45 year old.

• 1 month later...
Should I quit my job? $6.55/hr. 2 Days a week so not much money. I hate it. Its a checker at Kroger.

Well you, unlike deadman here, actually have no other options even considered, so probably not. Continue on with the bitch work for minimum wage. You already complain enough about never having money for projects, tools or books.