APC Forum

Lighters.

PyroMedia

If you are looking for something for pyro, I would get a Bernzomatic TS4000 Mapp gas torch or something comparable (they can also run on propane). It will last a lot longer than any lighter or mini-torch, and will light in pretty much any conditions (possibly even a hurricane) and you never need to shield it from the wind. The mini torches break down eventually...I think due to carbon buildup or something, and are not nearly as wind and rain resistant. And if a ts4000 should ever break down, you can purchase replacement tips for it. But I've never had to do any such thing and I've had it for around 2 years or so.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic/con...ernzoProd100011

Only real issue is that it is bulky and has a higher initial cost than a lighter or mini torch...but it is still cheap considering that you pretty much never have to buy anything else ever again!

Edited by flying fish

I don't have any experience with that particular model, but I suspect it will not come close to the reliability of a full sized torch. It also might not have an easy on/off pushbutton. If it is made for "precision" soldering and stuff, it might have an adjustable valve that is separate from the piezo-start, meaning you have to open the valve, then push the button, light the fuse, then close the valve to shut it off. The ts4000 does this entire operation for you just by pressing and releasing the trigger. And if you are going to spend that much, the TS4000 is only like $5 more...Again, the only real down size to a full size torch is you can't carry it around in your pocket...but unless you need it for lighting cigarettes or something this isn't really an issue.

Edit: If you really need something pocket sized, I don't really have a good recommendation. I'll wait for someone else to chime in :). My only other argument is...don't you need to transport your shells and whatever else to your shooting location? Those surely can't be pocket sized - and even if they were, you probably shouldn't be carrying them around in your pocket!

Edited by flying fish

I second the Fish's nomination. I have both the BernzOMatic QuickFire and TS4000. I use the QuickFire on the stubby, green camping propane tanks for when I want a long term, hands free, continuous flame; such as melting lead for grinding media. The TS4000 is just the cat's ass for lighting anything. Visco, campfires, charcoal grill, cigarettes John Wayne style.

As said the bernzomatic torch a good investment. But from experience, it's a little finnicky lighting in a hurricane... Edited by BigBang

I bet its a good torch but I personally still use lighters. I get the off brand ones from wal mart for like 2 bucks for 8 of them. Good deal.

I still prefer the good old BIC Maxi with child lock. The child lock prevents the flint from clogging op with slag from burning fuses, since it covers the (don't know the word for it) metal part that creates sparks when scraped over the flint. I prefer a white or red colored, because these are easier to find back when dropped into the grass.

I've got one similar to that, except its got a button for continous use. I've used it to round the sharp edges on my broken glass stirrers. Great torch for its size. Edited by superman1451

I've used the one from Harbor Freight before. It is actually my father-in-laws. He uses it for melting silver. It has a decent size flame and has worked strong for 1 year, but in the long run bernz-O-matic.

• 8 months later...

If im lighting a small number of devices on a calm day I'll use a normal bic.

For anything else i have a Bernz O Matic TS8000 that I bought for doing some plumbing work. the auto on/off is great! no fiddling with knobs. just hit the trigger/button and there is a jet of hot flame.